Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

+3
Martin
donkypace
anti-climb max
7 posters

Friday (NOT Saturday) 25th March - Doniford - 9am meet

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Friday (NOT Saturday) 25th March - Doniford - 9am meet Empty Friday (NOT Saturday) 25th March - Doniford - 9am meet

Post  anti-climb max Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:25 am

OK, so we're back to weather watching after a one week hiatus.

If BBC are correct then Saturday is going to be pretty wet, so let's make the most of the Easter weekend and ride on Friday instead.

9am meet at Priory for a little jaunt to Doniford (85ish.) Tri-curious can jump ship at Cannington or similar.

Route out will be Sea Front, Anchor, Brent Knoll.

Gottagetback can be Cowardine's on the high street.

donkypace

Friday (NOT Saturday) 25th March - Doniford - 9am meet Empty Re: Friday (NOT Saturday) 25th March - Doniford - 9am meet

Post  donkypace Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:12 am

At least the roads should be quiet
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Friday (NOT Saturday) 25th March - Doniford - 9am meet Empty Re: Friday (NOT Saturday) 25th March - Doniford - 9am meet

Post  anti-climb max Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:51 pm

let's use the M5
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:34 pm

As much as I fancy duke'ing it out on the roads into Doniford I cant make it on Friday as my family have selfishly decided that they want to meet up at a pub.

I'll be riding Saturday as usual. Which I guess means I can choose the route :-).
    All those who want to ride Sat check the seperate topic posting for details.

Martin
    girlsride2
    girlsride2

Post  girlsride2 Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:07 pm

Agreed to work a Pilates cover on Friday morning,so I'm with Martin. Don't have enough brake blocks left for Crowie descent anyway. Enjoy the Cakestand Gorge.
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:34 am

What with the current terrorist threat at airports, do you think that covering a pilate is wise? (I daren't ask what you plan to cover him with, and as for doing it with Martin, it just gets worse.)
    Laser light

Post  Laser light Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:42 am

Saturday better for me. Currently working on a hangover for tomorrow.
    stubble07
    stubble07

Post  stubble07 Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:02 pm

sunny sunny sunny I'm going
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Post  showmethecakes Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:12 am

Promised to do some gardening today! Was planning to be out tomorrow (Sat) but don't want to be the only idiot out in storm force winds and torrential rain. You'd better turn up Martin.
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:52 am

I'll be there - just call my name, i'll be there :-)

We should get some Strava records up Cheddar Gorge with the wind behind us.

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:16 pm

A motley dirty dozen turned up at priory today; i say dozen, it was 12 of us plus mars and a few interlopers.

this week's priory calamity occurred before i arrived as many turned up for the usual 8:45 meet, not spotting the 9am meet time 'HIDDEN' in the text of my post; (please check the post's title and the beginning of line 3 to see just how well i'd 'hidden' the meet time.)

by the time i arrived, keith and few others had headed off at the 'official' 8:50 start time, never to be seen again (i hope they got back.)

back to the interlopers:

loper 1: i'm sure i spotted lofty flying past me halfway up woolavington hill, it was either him or a young eddy merckx sporting his new molteni kit.
    loper 2: i'm sure i spotted tracy at priory but he was gone by the top of woolavington (he's probably been making babies with a young eddy.)
    loper 3: an audaxer who we passed about three times whilst we played hare to his tortoise between bridgwater and dead woman's ditch. i was filled with dread when i passed him for the last time about 2 miles from the climb, but thankfully he thought better of our unnecessary hop over the quantocks.

crowcombe descent claimed no casualties again, (not for the want of trying.) i was surprised that nobody took me up on the offer of feeling my rim when we got to the bottom, i'd have expected a people to be more open minded these days.

usual shenanigans into williton but don't ask me who won. burns told me that he'd got it, but i'm not sure he hadn't got himself muddled as we were chatting about gonorrhea 10 minutes earlier.

usual great fare from the farm shop as many of us tucked into the emporium's signature dish, afternoon tea. had a good game of muddle the drinks bottles before we left.

usual tear up on the way home (i got dropped again.)

ojc: 0 but it wasn't an official ride, that's tomorrow
    ttc: 10/10 afternoon tea for £6.95
    kf: me - 20/10 everyone else - 1.175/10

PS, i do like stubble's new avatar, hands up if you like neil's pussy!
    PPS, check the new 'just for fun' poll

Last edited by anti-climb max on Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:29 pm

Thanks for the great report. Its good to hear things are as organised as ever :-)

As we were driving through Hutton, I did spot Sir Paul Burns the Bread on his way back home. He was leading Andy going up the hill. They both looked like they had plenty of energy left!!

As it looks like this calm sunny weather is here to stay i'll see the rest of you tomorrow for the official ride.
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Post  showmethecakes Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:43 am

Loper 1 confirmed!
    Lofty was out on his own heading for Langport so tagged along a bit from Brent Knoll to Woolavington. He was spotted and reported by several members of the public and is now being questioned by the wheel sucker police. Don't forget there will be a Crimewatch update later and please, don't have nightmares.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:53 pm