Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

+2
Martin
anti-climb max
6 posters

Saturday 27th June - Wiveliscombe

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 27th June - Wiveliscombe Empty Saturday 27th June - Wiveliscombe

Post  anti-climb max Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:57 pm

Is there a cafe in Wiveliscombe? I'm sure somebody will want to find out, but I'm pretty sure we all will on Saturday!!! (Failing that it'll be mars bars and monster munch from a garage.)

We'll be heading out via Toll Road, Sea Front, Anchor, Brent Knoll should you wish to latch on.

Full route will be about 99, tri-stoppers can alight at Cannington or Pines as we'll be going via Spaxton.

P.S. Lyme next week...... if weather gods allow.

PPS. We are all capable of googling 'wiveliscombe cafe' please don't, it spoils the fun....... MR JEREMIAH
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 27th June - Wiveliscombe Empty Re: Saturday 27th June - Wiveliscombe

Post  Martin Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:01 am

I'm afraid I am going to have to miss the trip to Wiveliscombe as I am required to attend my wifes wedding anniversary!

However I couldn't resist asking Mr Google what cafes were available in Wiveliscombe and he said .....???
    If you cant find a cafe you can always ask the locals :-)

Have fun.
    pedrospedros

Post  pedrospedros Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:11 am

Dulverton many cafes delis
    donkypace

Post  donkypace Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:12 pm

I'm sure you are all going to be very sad to hear that I am also unable to attend the Wiveliscombe jaunt as I have to wash my bike. If you don't find a cafe there you could go to Ashbyrton I know there are several there or even Mortonhamstead, great views from the caf's.
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:38 pm

Lots of people making excuses this week. Methinks someone has booked a minibus for the pride march in London.

Look guys, it's the 21st century and you're amongst friends. No need for excuses, say it loud,say it proud bitches xxx
    donkypace

Post  donkypace Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:42 pm

Attempted to print stick my Colnago frame together, but that glue isn't as strong as they suggest so I just bought a new frame set this evening.

Martin what time is the minibus leaving tomorrow for London?
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:06 pm

showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 27th June - Wiveliscombe Empty Ride Report - The Tale of the Spunkton Monkfish

Post  showmethecakes Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:45 pm

Thought this might be a long ride so slotted into the bunch on the sea front rather than meet with the rest of Eastgate Priory Old Boys at the school. By the time the group had re-assembled on Accommodation Road there were about 27 of us heading at a very gentle pace to Brent Knoll. Nice to have Gordon et al join us for the ride out with the group pretty much keeping together to Wooley. A small splinter group split off at Wooley but most carried on to Bridgwater and Spaxton where there was a slightly larger schism with about 8 riders veering right to Cannington. The remainder continued up to Pines where the final cut was made.

Having got to Pines, Nick pointed out his broken stem. Now I've heard about this kind of thing before. A few years ago a man in Germany sued his girlfriend for damages after she broke his penis during some kind of over ambitious sex. Having realised this is not the stem Nick was referring to everyone let out a sigh of relief but that left only six riders to continue to Wiveliscombe.

It was a very pleasant ride with no real mishaps apart from Mark who decided it was better to overshoot a corner onto some gravel rather than go around the corner, over some gravel. I am sure there is some kind of logic to that decision somewhere but it's defeating me for now.

Cafe was excellent with a good selection of food and drinks and very polite and helpful staff. They even offered to collect our water bottles and fill them for us. Had a fast ride east on the so called main road to Taunton with a slight gradient and light tail wind. The other side of Taunton Ivan's shifter committed suicide - it was just hanging there. All life had gone out of it. Despite this slight interruption to our journey Ivan limped on before we took a second cafe stop alongside the Bridgwater Canal.

At the cafe Tony made the fatal error of asking Ivan for some staff room anecdotes. After mentions of banging back doors and knobs falling off the group skillfully manoevered (sp?) him away from such filth and discussed more important issues like: "Which shorts do you think have the best pad? DHB, fake Castellis?".

Ivan's eyes were bigger than his belly (which takes some doing) and struggled to finish his cake. Just as well it wasn't Pete or daddy Ivan won't let him out to play again!

A good pace was then set all the way back. I had an excellent view of all the effort that was going in on the front. It then all got a bit mad with Tony cranking the pace up to about 24 through Brent Knoll. On the road to Lympsham Scott then racked it up to 27 mph on the run in to Lympsham. As we flew around the corner by the church a car came the other way. Now, it's not like we were all over the road or anything, it's just that there were a lot of parked cars on one side and not a lot of room to get by. Tony took his time to consider how best to explain the sight in front of him as he headed for the car. Something like "oh f**k". Tony squeezed through, but no-one is quite sure how as Scott, Ivan and myself slammed the brakes on. I can only assume this is what it feels like when they talk about negative 10G. With my eyeballs dangling from their sockets there was a shout from behind as Pete, unable to stop, piled into us. There was a tangle of bikes and a few bodies on the floor but we survived. Only myself and Pete hit the deck. Pete was very concerned that there was blood dripping from someone. Not sure why he didn't think to look at his own arm!

Being men we politely discussed the finer points of such incidents before setting off again at some stupid speed. I think we all got home safely. Hope you and your bike are okay Pete.

Stats: loads of riders, quite a few jerseys, 80+ miles, one crash, several mechanicals, nice cafe, average 17.5 mph.
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:59 pm

Luckily the strava segment from brent Knoll to Lympsham terminated 50 yards before the crash.check it out, 4 of us in the top 5!

Unfortunately my shifter damage looks terminal though I will have a go at horology skills in the morning, I'll probably need one of those fixed magnifiers sold in the back pages of philately weekly.

Fortunately replacement shifters only cost £180, so nothing lost really.

Anyway, Really enjoyed ride and cafe was great, anyone would think I'd planned it. Canal cafe is open throughout year so there's another winter option for us, maybe we can sit inside then so I can entertain staff with staffroom tales of yore.
    BaronBanana

Post  BaronBanana Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:37 pm

I made it through the gap too... I just required Tony to show me how to do it!!!

Ivan you had a soft back tyre and a floppy lever... Soft and Floppy, now thats a combination!

Did we figure out where nick hid the hacksaw?

Hope the arms arent too sore Rich and Pete and the bikes are ok!

We had a bit of a day of it... Mine tried to dismount me on the descent into Cothelstone, as did ivans when it took a distaste to the gear selected and that was before all the afore mentioned incidents!

I put it down to Martin's absence... Somebody needs to keep us in check!
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:34 am

Sounds like an episode from Dads Army!!!
    Pikey broke his stem, Godfrey entertaining the troops with tails of the old days, Walker dodging through a non existent gap and you met Gordons group of Wardens on the way :-)

Normal service will be resumed next week when we will be backed to our tightly drilled machine.

The forecast looks good for this week so i'm keeping my fingers crossed for Lyme Regis on Saturday.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:29 am