Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

3 posters

Saturday 12th April - Langport or Podimore

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 12th April - Langport or Podimore Empty Saturday 12th April - Langport or Podimore

Post  anti-climb max Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:39 pm

you can never have too much of a good thing!

this week we'll swing past langport and its new cafe on the way to the 'shit'all left' in podimore. beyond langport we'll use the A372, on a stretch which will be new to many. it goes through piss e'huishcopi and song lutton which should be flood free by now. nicely, it's about 5 miles west to east with a 15mph westerly wind forecast. this combined with pedwell moor/high ham should ensure a shenanigan filled last 10 miles.  cyclops 

then it's famous olympic breakfast time, before returning via keinton mandeville, glastonbury etc.

oh, and don't forget to love a raleigh tomorrow. just in case you happen to meet a fool on a 1980's jalopy, do look after him.
    Pirate
    Pirate

Saturday 12th April - Langport or Podimore Empty Re: Saturday 12th April - Langport or Podimore

Post  Pirate Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:21 pm

Ouch!

Another good ride. I'm sure that Martin will compile something a little more descriptive of the day, but now that I'm sitting at home eating a recovery pasta meal all I can think of is my aching legs.

Ivan - bloody well done for dragging yourself around 80+ miles on that farmers gate.

Can't make it next week as I'll be waiting for the easter bunny . . . . .

. . . . hope it's a Playboy type!

pirat 
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 12th April - Langport or Podimore Empty Ride report

Post  Martin Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:03 pm

An overcast morning saw 15 riders turn up eager for the off. Ivan arrived having got out of bed about 15mins earlier. Podimore was the destination and we headed out via the usual - Toll road, Uphill, East Brent, Mark, Edington, Moorlinch and then left at Ascott towards High Ham. Just before the bottom of High Ham we saw some bloke hiding in the bushes who turned out to be the Sneloid. About the same time Nick went for a late break away but we managed to reel him in half way up High Ham. We reached Langport where 8 riders stopped at the new cafe location at the garden centre. Any budding food critics fancy giving us a report on it? The remaining 7 riders headed east along the A372. The pace was fast to say the least and we didn't drop below 25mph, at times reaching 30mph! Nick and Paul did a great job of pulling most of us along. Meirion and Nathon decided to save their energy for later.
    Before we knew it the sign for Podimore services appeared indicating it was 1/2 mile to go and the usual sprint kicked off with Ivan going for it chased by Mr Burns. It was close but when Ivan looked back and saw the silver haired fox he knew his time was up :-). The consolation prize was a Olympic Breakfast at the Little Chef. Rich and I choose the breakfast pancakes but somehow we got different ones. Unfortunately Rich got Meirions marshmallow pancake! I still can't get over the sound effects of sheep that are played in the loos!
    On the return journey Ivans 1980's bike caught up with him and the extra weight was begining to sap his legendary strength. When we reached Glastonbury we paused for a minute and took in the local sights ie the transgender person. Back along Goodney Moor into the head wind we took it easy. Ivan particularly enjoyed the mini Mudgley climb.
    Don't forget to put you name down for the coub meal on the 26th - see the forum Event section.
    This weeks caption competition:- https://picasaweb.google.com/chunkymonkey909/April122014#6001483377280319922

OJC - 3
    TTC - 4/10 - pancakes ok but the prices are on a level with Costa Packet.
    KF - 8.4/10 very fast
    http://ridewithgps.com/trips/2467398

Sponsored content

Saturday 12th April - Langport or Podimore Empty Re: Saturday 12th April - Langport or Podimore

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:38 am