Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

5 posters

saturday 8th february - sou' wester.... again; but this time with copious water

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

saturday 8th february - sou' wester.... again; but this time with copious water Empty saturday 8th february - sou' wester.... again; but this time with copious water

Post  anti-climb max Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:21 am

i've been watching the forecast all week, but no matter how many times i look the predictions have been marti pellow.

but let's not get too downbeat, the satellites and scientists have been wrong before.

we'll just head off south with an open mind and a closed jacket.

distance/destination/physical state/mental demeanor to be confirmed tomorrow but we'll stay close to home. maybe sweets as that should at least provide a fairly neutral wind direction both ways (beans permitting.)
    Pirate
    Pirate

saturday 8th february - sou' wester.... again; but this time with copious water Empty Re: saturday 8th february - sou' wester.... again; but this time with copious water

Post  Pirate Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:27 pm

Let's face it, we're going to get wet tomorrow.

Hey Ivan what's happened to your avatar?

I was just getting used to it.  pirat 
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

saturday 8th february - sou' wester.... again; but this time with copious water Empty Ride report

Post  Martin Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:14 pm

A good turnout for an extremely windy day. Sweats was choosen as the destination in case of the forecast heavy rain. We took an unconventional route via Banwell, Loxton, Mark, Cossington and Shapwick. As we headed south towards Mark we faced a ferious head wind which caused the first of many splits in the group. Mars group had a puncture after which they headed straight to the cafe. Paul's group carried on at their usual fast pace while the rest of us waited a while at Mark and then continued on. Somewhere near Shapwick we lost Malcom how had a puncture.
    At the cafe we had earned our snacks but Nick took it to the next level by ordering a full english breakfast with toast followed by an olympic sized flapjack. The ride back was alot easier with mostly a tail wind. Neil got a puncture in one of those puncture proof Gatorskins at Cheddar.
    I'm sure I have forgotten to mention loads of things.
    Only 48 miles covered but it felt more like 80!

TTC - 7 although not TTC's available still a solid performance.
    OJC - 2?
    KF - 8.8 very windy
    Stats - http://ridewithgps.com/trips/2222106
    andys
    andys

saturday 8th february - sou' wester.... again; but this time with copious water Empty Gusty ride

Post  andys Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:07 pm

A ride to remember, Marcella Paul  Wayne and myself got split from the group after mars puncher,
    we headed across the open moor towards shapwick, cross winds were so strong mars stopped in middle of road as the winds were pushing her  towards the rhine , Paul also came close to a open water experience, a better ride back home as we used the tail wind to our advantage following Wayne doing speeds of 28mph at times,
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

saturday 8th february - sou' wester.... again; but this time with copious water Empty Re: saturday 8th february - sou' wester.... again; but this time with copious water

Post  showmethecakes Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:20 pm

You forgot loads of things Martin. Like Neil's puncture, Marcella's puncture, Chris's puncture, Malcolm's puncture, Malcolm's puncture again and then Neil's puncture - again. I really must stop throwing tacks around the road. I think the next installment of Bike Maintenance for Beginners will be on how to fix a puncture. You never know, it might come in useful one day.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:55 pm