Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

3 posters

Saturday 16th February 2013 - Langport

showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 16th February 2013 - Langport Empty Saturday 16th February 2013 - Langport

Post  showmethecakes Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:57 am

Just for Martin - we had fabulous weather, a free breakfast, no competition up the hills and to cap it all an all female group of cyclists joined us in the cafe!

For those of us that were there (about 15 riders) it promised to be a nice day but in reality it was close to freezing first thing and we quickly ran into fog. It was so bad I couldn't see a thing. Then I cleared my glasses and realised that I could actually see something - it was more fog.

The fog persisted all the way to High Ham where Ivan tried to pull a fast one by belting across to the bottom of the hill in the fog hoping no one could see him. I assumed it was a deliberate attempt to get to the top of High Ham first so we set off in hot persuit with Stubble07 and Nick passing him before the top. Ivan then claimed he was going to hide in the bushes and spring a surprise on us. I dread to think what the surprise was going to be!

Having re-grouped at the top we took pity on the slower riders and kept the pace at a steady 25-26 mph across the top! Ivan had warned of a dangerous corner on the way to Langport but I couldn't exactly remember where this was until Ivan came past me approaching a sharp left hander. At the same time Stubble07 and a couple of others joined the party and not wishing to slow down for a mere bend in the road swung wide around the corner. We were all a little surprised to find an articulated lorry occupying most of the road right on the bend and after some drastic evasive action we all scrapped by with no harm done.

After elevenses (don't mention the toast to Keith) the group split with a few lightweights going back the more direct route while the rest of us set of home via Somerton, Butleigh, Glastonbury, Westhay, Mudgely Hill, Wedmore, Cheddar, Sidcott, Winscombe and Banwell. Thought we were doing well taking into account the speed and distance until we caught some old duffer out on a 200 mile ride who then matched our pace from Mudgely to Cheddar!

Within sight of home and looking forward to the pace slacking off Ivan cranked it up to 25's through Locking. Thanks Ivan!

Really enjoyable ride, no mishaps, in total for me that was 78 miles at an average of 17.5.
    Rate the cake: 0/10 (didn't have any - went healthy with a big fat panini full of cheese) and Knacker Factor of 8/10.
    stubble07
    stubble07

Saturday 16th February 2013 - Langport Empty Re: Saturday 16th February 2013 - Langport

Post  stubble07 Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:27 pm

Actually Martin Rich wasn't kidding first time.
    24degrees short sleeve tops and summer bikes, hardy no cars on the roads. Tail wind all the way to the cafe. With all the tables full at the cafe, some of the female cyclists had to sit on our laps. I had a hard... Nice, long, slim, ...sumptuous,fruity .....caret cake
    Martin you should of been there. Best day ever. I was the first up every hill, it was brilliant.

Are you back this Saturday. Smile
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 16th February 2013 - Langport Empty Re: Saturday 16th February 2013 - Langport

Post  Martin Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:49 pm

Darn it! Looks like I missed a good ride.
    78 miles is very impressive. Langport is one of my favorites.
    With those high speeds it sounds like Ivan's got his mojo back :-).
    I did get a long ride in on Sunday to North Curry via Langport.
    I'll be out this Saturday.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:31 pm