Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

2 posters

Saturday 2nd February 2013 - Farrington Gurney

Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 2nd February 2013 - Farrington Gurney Empty Saturday 2nd February 2013 - Farrington Gurney

Post  Martin Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:09 pm

Can't think what to write.

Fifteen riders for a sunny but cold day.
    Cafe location - Farrington Gureny.
    No mishaps only Dave's squeeky bottom (bracket).

Stats - http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1119049

Found this - http://www.velominati.com/the-rules

Here are a few edited highlights:-

OBEY THE RULES!

Rule #4 // It’s all about the bike.
    It is, absolutely, without question, unequivocally, about the bike. Anyone who says otherwise is obviously a ******.

Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
    As this famous quote by Greg LeMan tells us, training, climbing, and racing is hard. It stays hard. To put it another way, per Greg Henderson: “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.” Sur la Plaque.

Rule #11 // Family does not come first. The bike does.
    Sean Kelly, being interviewed after the ’84 Amstel Gold Race, spots his wife leaning against his Citroën AX. He interrupts the interview to tell her to get off the paintwork, to which she shrugs, “In your life the car comes first, then the bike, then me.” Instinctively, he snaps back, “You got the order wrong. The bike comes first.

Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Rule #76 // Helmets are to be hung from your stem.
    When not worn, helmets are to be clipped to the stem and draped over your handlebars thusly.

Rule #91 // No Food On Training Rides Under Four Hours.
    This one also comes from the Apostle, Johan Museeuw, who said to @frank: “Yes, no food on rides under four hours. You need to lose some weight.” Or, as Fignon put it, sometimes, when we train, we simply have to go out to meet the Man with the Hammer. The exception is, of course, hard rides over two hours and races. Also, if you’re planning on being out for more than four hours, start eating before you get hungry. This also applies to energy drink supplements.
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 2nd February 2013 - Farrington Gurney Empty Re: Saturday 2nd February 2013 - Farrington Gurney

Post  showmethecakes Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:24 pm

I've told Dave before to take the mice out of the wheel inside his bottom bracket! It's clearly an unfair advantage to be propelled along by mice power. Next thing you know there will be riders with all sorts of rodents attached to key parts of their machines - running around inside the inner tubes, shifting the chain across the sprockets instead of a rear mech - surely there's a weight saving in that. Risky job though - should think that one gets danger money. No doubt the job advert would read 'Danger Mouse Required'. I can see it now when there is another pile up on the road. Excuse number 237 - my hamster got his tail trapped in the chain. I certainly wouldn't want to roll into Bicycle Chain and ask them to remove a rodent from my rim!
    I'll google Rodent Wheels and see what comes up. Probably be cheaper than Zipp's but I might turn out next Saturday on something more like a paddle steamer than a bicycle.
    Enjoyed the ride, top cake selection if a little expensive. I'd give that one a cake rating of 7/10 and a knacker factor of 9/10. See you next week.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:28 pm