Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

3 posters

Saturday 25th April - Somerton

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 25th April - Somerton Empty Saturday 25th April - Somerton

Post  anti-climb max Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:28 am

Sorry I left it a bit late this week, for some reason (old age) I thought today was wednesday!!!

Anyway, better late than never. Following a week of duff Saturday forecasts the bbc now reckon on a dry morning with rain coming in about 3pm. Nevertheless, conditions could be a little moist from Friday's expected rain.

We'll head out via the sea front, anchor & brent knoll bogs should you wish to latch on.

From there we'll ride to woolavington and then along the poldens to truckers, this offers the first tri-option. from there it's down into ashcott and up the cockrod (all welcome!!!)

We'll probably have 30ish at truckers, and somerton should be another 10 miles beyond.
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 25th April - Somerton Empty Ride report

Post  Martin Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:13 pm

A good turn out of 25 riders were at Priory for another dry ride.
    The Ivan sprint baiting began on the Toll road. We then took it steady out via Lympsham. Ater we crossed over the M5 i got a bit confused and tried to lead everyone south rather than heading for Woolavaington. Mars kindly informed me that there is a WCG forum where the route is posted every week and I should read it to find out where we are going :-).
    At the top of Woolavington we said goodbye to the majority of the roup and 12 of us continued on to Somerton.
    The cafe owner was glad to see 12 customers as business was slow. We sat in the garden and enjoyed the sun where Ivan informed us about a guy who has done over 300 consecutive marathons. We all wanted more details but we were left wanting until Carl Googled it. Apparently he runs every morning between 3am and 7am!
    We then found out that Ivan has a short list of women who are potential Mrs Clapsons. This list includes Paula Radcliff! Perhaps we should create a forum thread where everyone can post their short list or just their 'left field' choices?
    The pace back was blistering and we all enjoyed a good workout along the Cockrod road.
    As a treat for the mountain goats we took a small diversion to take in Pedwell hill.
    The pace was increased as we crossed the levels. We tried something called through and off which apparently allows us to maintain a higher average speed.
    Back at WsM the usual seafront sprint kicked off but we were all left in the shade as Carl past us with his hands draped over the handlebars barley breaking a sweet.
    With the wind on our backs the remaining riders cruised along Locking road around 23mph. Just after we dropped off Ivan we caught and overtook a mountain bike rider. A minute later when we looked around he was still on our tails. We upped the pace but he still held on. We practically had to sprint to drop him! So he gets rider of the day.

Where's Nick? If you have seen him recently please add your sighting here - https://westoncg.forumotion.co.uk/t315-where-is-nick

Video highlights:-

OOJC - 1
    ONJC - 2
    TTCR = 4/5
    KF = 4.4/5
    Stats = http://ridewithgps.com/trips/4477346
    Strava Actvity playback - http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#292311440
    BaronBanana

Saturday 25th April - Somerton Empty Re: Saturday 25th April - Somerton

Post  BaronBanana Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:30 pm

Great ride today, that vid was ace martin; your a bad influence with riding on the other side of the road!!! Ivan had his teaching hat on and schooled me in sprinting today!

Just a bottle refill? That will be £6 please.

Sponsored content

Saturday 25th April - Somerton Empty Re: Saturday 25th April - Somerton

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:42 pm