Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

+2
Martin
anti-climb max
6 posters

Saturday 17th April - Who's on the Guinness?

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 17th April - Who's on the Guinness? Empty Saturday 17th April - Who's on the Guinness?

Post  anti-climb max Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:43 pm

We've not been to Sherborne since this time last year, who will brave the Guinness pudding? Lots of kudos for anyone who does AND makes it back to Weston, a good 90-95 this one, which is alleged to be 150K (whatever that is???)

Apparently Dave Beaver is in France, so riding on the right hand side shouldn't cause as many problems as his brave continental maneuver did when we last approached this venue; though I dare say the French verges offer the same degree of hazard.

We'll avoid the temptation of hitting the A30 again (as Dave did last year;) route out will be via Glastonbury and Podimore, both of which offer good tri-options.

14 degrees and sunshine is forecast so let's see those new kits out, Andy Caddock can wear a chest wig and medallion to match his open look jersey (you never know, he could start a trend.)

Early route will be Puxton, Sandford, Winscombe, Cheddar should anybody need to latch on.

Saturday 17th April - Who's on the Guinness? Empty Re: Saturday 17th April - Who's on the Guinness?

Post  Guest Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:19 pm

Martin, have you got a link to the route from the last time you ventured down to Sherborne?
    Regards, Paul
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 17th April - Who's on the Guinness? Empty Re: Saturday 17th April - Who's on the Guinness?

Post  Martin Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:33 pm

Paul - here is the route from last time but i dont think we will be going the same way.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/2741116

The route out to Sherborne this Saturday will probably be the reverse of the one above. Not sure of the route back.

I'm looking forward to some chest wig action!

Post  Guest Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:47 pm

Laughing i'll give the chest wig action a miss i think.
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 17th April - Who's on the Guinness? Empty Ride report

Post  Martin Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:12 pm

Brief report.
    25 riders for a sun blessed day albeit a cold start
    This week we had the wind in our faces on the way out and enjoyed a good tail wind on the way back.
    We catered for all tastes this week with no less than 4 choices of cafe stops - Sweets, Heapheys, Podimore and Sherborne.
    Some nutters - Jim, Paul and Chris did not stop at Sherborne and turned around without stopping for the ride home!
    Ivan took on the Guiness cake at the cafe stop.
    Apologies to Pete for losing him when leaving Sweets.
    No crashes or mechanicals.
    Its interesting to see the Strava Activity playback. Scott almost caught us in Wedmore!
    Unfortunately we now have 3 reports of broken zips on the new jerseys. I will be speaking with Owayo next week to see what they have to say.

TTC rating - 4/5
    KF - 3/5
    ONJC - (Official New Jersey Count) - 4?
    Chest wigs - 0
    Stats - http://ridewithgps.com/trips/4430857
    Strava Actvity playback - http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#287817048
    cornishchris

Post  cornishchris Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:34 pm

BaronBanana

Post  BaronBanana Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:12 pm

That playback reminds me of Adrian the other week... I was so close at Wedmore! Great ride today, might have to put sun cream on the konk next time as the sunburn has matured quite nicely!!!
    Andyjack

Post  Andyjack Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:20 pm

Always wanted to be a trend setter with the jerseys ...Apologes for not riding today,was busy platting my chest wig.Riding tommorrow afternoon bout 4ish
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Post  showmethecakes Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am

Oh for the joy of being fit!

The three of us that stopped in Podimore had a good ride back with no incidents. I had just about enough in my memory and my legs to find the way back to Butleigh where Micha took over the reins. We then enjoyed the tail wind back through Meare and Westhay. Legs pretty much stopped working at Burtle so thanks to Micha who put his nose into the wind back to Weston.

TTCR: 4/5
    OOJC: 1 (Official old jersey count - you know, the one's that have proper zips)
    Chest wigs: 0 (unless Micha or Jeannie were hiding one under their jerseys, or should I say - 'keeping it close to their chests')
    Stats: http/www.bollockstothat.com/ridewithoutgps/lookatyourgarminwhenyougethome/itsaid73miles
    Ave speed: 28kph (17.5mph for those still stuck in the dark ages).

Post  Guest Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:34 pm

When Ivan requested in his original post that everyone wear their new jerseys, i thought the protocol was to do the complete opposite to what he says. So I left mine in the drawer.

I just can't grasp the unwritten rules of this 'club'! Are they written down anywhere? Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 11:56 pm