Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

5 posters

Weston Chain Gang (AKA Weston Wheelers) Sunday ride

Keep up lad!
    Keep up lad!

Weston Chain Gang (AKA Weston Wheelers) Sunday ride Empty Weston Chain Gang (AKA Weston Wheelers) Sunday ride

Post  Keep up lad! Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:52 pm

After the washout of our normal Saturday ride the good weather promised for Sunday prompted a decent turn out of about 10 riders.  Our start time was very close to that of Weston Wheelers, not AKA Weston Chain Gang and 2 of them defected, thus reducing their  numbers to 1.  Hope he had a good ride.  There was some discussion at Priory about where we should go and as Ivan abdicated all responsibility because this was not Saturday, it was left to someone else to lead a route.  Unfortunately no one seemed to know who that was, or where we were heading.   The word ‘Combe’ was heard which we assumed was Burrington but as we headed for Congresbury the assumption changed to Brockley Combe.  However we then headed for Wrington and when we turned right in Blagdon and up Rhodyate it was realised that ‘Combe’ was in fact the top of Burrington and the leader/culprit became clear.  Thanks for that Nick.  We enjoyed a long rest at the top except for Pete who suffered the bonk and decided to return home by a shorter route.   The rest of us except Chris, who hung back with Pete, continued to Wells via Priddy.  A Shambles in the making some would say!  By riding at 30mph Chris somehow managed to beat us all to Wells without actually passing us, and after a phone call and some scouting around, Ivan located him skulking in a supermarket car park.  Meanwhile the front of the group continued through Wells unaware of the search behind.  By good fortune it all came back together and a Shambles was duly avoided.  Well done Ivan.  The rest of the ride was fairly normal.  Tea at Sweets and return via Mark and Rooks Bridge.  Jeannie got an oak tree stuck through her back tyre which delayed us a while.  A great ride and well done those who led the route and saved the day.
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Weston Chain Gang (AKA Weston Wheelers) Sunday ride Empty Re: Weston Chain Gang (AKA Weston Wheelers) Sunday ride

Post  showmethecakes Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:46 pm

Yep - a good ride in ideal conditions. A bit chilly in places but warm in the sun. That's the third time I've been up the Roddy in 4 years so can we leave it about another year and a bit before we do it again? Having said that I prefer it to Burrington. I was about to say it's more of a hill but that would be stupid, because it is the same hill, just in a different way. Got home comfortably and in good time. Arrived about 12:15 so gained a few brownie points with the missus. Regrettably I then threw them away by flaking out on the sofa all afternoon watching the FA Cup games. Oh well - c'est la vie.
    Phlipflop
    Phlipflop

Weston Chain Gang (AKA Weston Wheelers) Sunday ride Empty Re: Weston Chain Gang (AKA Weston Wheelers) Sunday ride

Post  Phlipflop Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:18 pm

Thankyou to everyone for making me feel welcome today and for making me nearly pass out ascending the Roddy. Shocked
    Pirate
    Pirate

Post  Pirate Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:05 pm

I stayed in bed yesterday, which admittedly felt a bit strange, given the Saturday routine that we have become accustomed to. Thinking that nobody would be foolish enough to venture out into that disgusting weather, I was going to write a piece about yesterday's ride and the amount of ducks that turned up. The guys of WCG are tougher than I thought and proved to me that a little rain can hurt no one. I won't be taking up gambling soon and I'll spare you the feathered tales of woe.

As Steve mentioned, today's slightly unplanned route out to Wells was a successful day of variation, spontaneity, good social banter and surprisingly good weather. Ivan, you did an incredibly good job of keeping your head above water, given that you have a fever of sorts. If Angela knew, she'd never let you ride in the rain again . . .  or was it the cheap full English breakfast you consumed? Decision making was therefore left to chance, but I think it all came together nicely. Chris did take a slight detour into Wells, but I was quite pleased that I played no part in it this time, having previously led him astray twice in one day.

We did quite well in gaining 2 new riders that would have otherwise gone over to the dark side. Guys, you were, as Captain Blackadder once said "saved from a fate worse than a fate worse than death." The best way is to focus on cycling, get fit, have fun and eat lots of cake (there's a contradiction there somewhere). When there are no subscriptions, no treasurer, no politics and no BS there's more time and money for cake - Hurrah!

My observations are that the group is getting stronger. There are more takers for the A-Team and more enthusiasm for destinations further afield. Many local Strava segments now seem to have at least one of our members in the top 10. There should be no doubt as to who the pre-eminent cycling group in Weston is!

. . . I'll get off my soapbox now and have another cup of tea.

pirat
    pedrospedros

Post  pedrospedros Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:43 am

Hi people felt good Sunday legs lungs fine then then half way the rhody nightmare never felt that way, thanks for coming back me Ivan then Chris Shepard me then I went back to cheddar very chilly all way down again then home, sorry the in convience so probably didn't help suffering from tooth infection and the antiobiotics and get some more fitness in
    Pedrospedros

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:33 am