Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

2 posters

Saturday 30th August - garden cafe - frome

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 30th August - garden cafe - frome Empty Saturday 30th August - garden cafe - frome

Post  anti-climb max Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:04 pm

bbc say sun, itv say rain; but seeing as i'm posh, i'm expecting a dry ride. a strong westerly is pretty sure though, so what can go wrong!!!

we'll tackle the pave again, it's been a while.

veggie sausage and spinach thingy's all round, DON'T ask for a bacon bap unless you want to be whipped with lettuce leaves by the lentil loving waitresses. arriving on bikes, i reckon the staff think we approve of their bohemian life choices; let's not spoil the illusion.

i think we'll head out via wedmore, wells, then up through shit'n for a change, so either wells or shit'n can constitute a tri-stop.
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 30th August - garden cafe - frome Empty Ride Report

Post  showmethecakes Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:37 pm

Might be the last report I write for a while. Back to work tomorrow - boo!

A reasonable number of riders turned out for what to me is the last ride of summer before returning to the classroom next week. Not that I'm bitter about it or anything - just thought I'd mention it.

Overcast sort of a day without rain so 1-0 to the BBC. Like Le Tour which alternates the direction taken around France each year, this being a month ending in 'eptember', Ivan took us the anti-clockwise way to Frome via Cheddar, Wedmore, Wells, Shi'n'smellit and Nunney. Usual belt along to Cheddar before regrouping, followed by a semi-belt to Wedmore before re-grouping again, allowing Keith some time alone in the public toilets before emerging with a smile on his face.

Neil and I took it easy to Wells keeping the speed down to a steady 20 - 25 mph. Ivan being more grown up and responsible kept a grip on his bunch allowing everyone to come together at Wells.

Despite advertising the fact that the tri option was first right on the road into Wells, a couple of riders tentatively followed the A team before realising their mistake and doubling back against the flow of the traffic.

That left 8 riders to slog it out to Frome. Neil tried his best to get out of the ride by heading off towards the Horringtons as we all veered right. School boy error - he should know by now - "If you go on ahead you'll get lost."

The current theme seems to be: That road's going in roughly the right direction, let's take it. So we did down a shi**y lane to Nunney. Gordon would be proud of that one.

At Nunney we enjoyed the 'in-flight' entertainment. Or should that be 'in-fight' entertainment as we passed two large gents exchanging punches at the side of the road. Concerned for their welfare we ignored them and carried on, caring more about our own welfare. Traffic was quite busy and there was a minor tete a tete with a motorist who blared his horn, swung his car around the outside of a couple of us, floored it and then stopped about 5 metres up the road behind a queue of traffic, while all the time talking on his mobile. Nick was so impressed at his ability to carry out all these tasks at once we speculated that he must be a clever dick.

A very warm welcome from the staff at the cafe which is always nice. Ivan celeb spotted Alan Yentob as we tucked into our veggie food. We all wished Ivan a happy birthday - one year older than last year apparently - and rather strangely shook his hand rather than sing happy birthday. Oh well.

At the top of the pave Nick stopped at the model shop to see if he could find a 6 foot blond. With several on offer we left him trying to make his mind up and headed off out of Frome. Only 3 miles later did we realise he was not with us and called to make sure he was okay. He'd gone the wrong way out of Frome so said he would meet us at Rocky Mountain. Clearly his sense of direction was all over the place as we met him about 5 miles further on up the road with a model of the Ark Royal tucked up his jersey - at least that's what he called it.

Ivan did a fantastic job on the return leg, providing a substantial wind break across the Mendips. Neil suffered a flat, Nick a bad back and me just plain lack of ability - as usual. Nevertheless we all made it safely down Burrington and across to Puxton where Ivan and I battled it out for the points jersey while Stu and Neil changed a tub.

The Ebdon sprint was fiercely contested with me thundering over the line at about 19mph. Congratulations came from the other riders who had seen the whole thing pan out from about 6 inches behind me. Ivan nonchalantly ambled past as we turned the corner but deep down I know he was hurting.

Good ride again. Stats:
    OJC: 5, all of them in the A team. Actually made us look proper n all that.
    TTCR: 9/10 (would have been a full 10 but for the lack of meat)
    KFC: 9/10 - lumpy and windy. Must get some laxatives to sort it out.
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 30th August - garden cafe - frome Empty Re: Saturday 30th August - garden cafe - frome

Post  anti-climb max Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:40 pm

thanks for the excellent report richard, we'll miss your incisive reviews.

as for the ride; personally, i think it should be summed up in one word...

......SHAMBLES

(no points if you guessed before scrolling down.)

Sponsored content

Saturday 30th August - garden cafe - frome Empty Re: Saturday 30th August - garden cafe - frome

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:59 pm