Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

4 posters

Saturday 21st June - Exploring the Cotswolds (Wotton-under-Edge?)

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 21st June - Exploring the Cotswolds (Wotton-under-Edge?) Empty Saturday 21st June - Exploring the Cotswolds (Wotton-under-Edge?)

Post  anti-climb max Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:00 pm

this saturday we'll head though bitton (tri stop) and continue north using our noses to guide us.

we could end up at wotton-under-edge, so if someone has the inclination they could check on a cafe. however, i can't imagine their won't be a good cafe there and in my experience, it's usually best to decide when you're there.

anyway; if wotton, we can head back via thornbury/olveston and should get back with another 95-100.
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 21st June - Exploring the Cotswolds (Wotton-under-Edge?) Empty Re: Saturday 21st June - Exploring the Cotswolds (Wotton-under-Edge?)

Post  Martin Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:48 pm

The interweb says there are 4 coffee shops on wotton-under-edge high street:-

The Ark

The Edge

The Singing Teapot

The Wotton coffee shop - This looks the best bet as their are some bikes parked outside whereas the others dont have anywhere to put your bikes.

Another option is the Tortworth Estate coffee shop. This is about 2 miles east of Wotton. Follow the B4058 and then turn right and its just off the B4059.
    I think we must have passed on the way back from Berkeley the other week.

See you for a nice hot ride on Saturday.
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 21st June - Exploring the Cotswolds (Wotton-under-Edge?) Empty Re: Saturday 21st June - Exploring the Cotswolds (Wotton-under-Edge?)

Post  anti-climb max Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:28 pm

was the wotton coffee shop named by the same concept team that came up with the gillingham chinese takeaway, church lane in shapwick and weston autoparts?

... oh, and whereabouts is the tortworth estate coffee shop?

i think tortworth sounds favourite to me, especially as the link back to thornbury will be simple.

let's see if we can navigate it, how's your memory feeling?
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:56 am

Agreed, the Tortworh Estate coffee shop seems a good choice as it has seating inside and out.

Luckily it follows your preferred naming convention and is near Tortworth :-)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Tortworth+Estate+Shop/@51.61195,-2.4398398,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x76c4315e8cebaae2

Thornbury is about 3 miles south west from there.

So from Tortworth its east on B4509 to Falfield then over the A38 to Rockhampton, right to Hill and then we are back on our usual route to Oldbury.
    I've got the directions written down so what could possibly go wrong :-).
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Post  showmethecakes Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:24 am

Bugger! Just spent 20 mins typing up the B Team report and the stupid Forum did not save it! Will try again in a bit.
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:12 pm

no need richard, i think we found out all we needed to know about the b team's ride in your last post.

the chain gang (all 3 of us) rode to wotton-under-edge.

friendly locals who were all too keen to chat to us (as we went down the one way high street the wrong way.)

good cafe and plenty of bike parking (especially given the unlikelihood of more than 5 riders taking on the route.)

route back was twiddly, i think we ticked off every compass point on the journey back.

highlight for me was the 25mph between aust and avonmouth that mr. williams considered reasonable (i felt ok until that point.)

anyway another 100 ticked off and another rider ticked off when he got back too late to take his daughter to see the red sparrows; luckily though i had a good view of them from wick st lawrence as we returned.

ojc: 2
    ttcr: 7 - excellent food, service and surroundings but a bit pricey.
    kf: 0-70 miles 7/10 --- 70-106 miles 11/10 (bloody welsh)
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Post  showmethecakes Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Here we go again....

The options at Priory seemed quite clear. Tri option at Bitton or getting a long one in via Tortworth. I quite like the idea of a long one but never had any complaints when I've traded length for quality. Having said that I think a short Sutton Wick would have been disappointing.

Anyhow, back to the ride. There had clearly been rebellious talk in the pack en route as the majority of riders decided to swing right in Chew Magna and head for the lakes. That is apart from Dave T who went left, then right, then left again across the oncoming traffic. There is always one or two that just can't decide which side they are on when the great political divide opens up!

However, true to my word I joined the A team for a few miles more to Bitton. As we approached Saltford I knew a cafe stop was inevitable as Chris started to complain about a lack of cash. After some discussion in the station car park BA Baracas, Face and Hannibal etc. set off for Tortworth while I stabled my ride and headed off to the buffet car for some on board refreshments. A few minutes later Chris, Sam and Mike appeared having obviously changed their minds and instead decided to join me. Chris then flashed his plastic and paid for mine and his food and drinks! I must have been in some sort of dazed stupor as I then re-paid him in cash. What was I thinking!

After tea and buns the conversation turned to out of date energy gels. Chris got a great deal at Halfords - a box of 20 for £2. We did try to point out that sugar cubes are not necessarily out of date energy gels but he seemed quite pleased with his bargain buy. They certainly don't appear to affect his cycling performance as he ably stayed at the back of the bunch along the cycle path back to Saltford, up the hill, etc. etc.

Personally I was finding it a bit tough on the way back while Sam was still dancing on the pedals like a spring chicken. Probably something to do with the 246 gels he took at the cafe. Once over the A37 was sped along to Chew Magna. Chris took a turn on the front and led us into the village. I say 'led us' that means him and me. Sam and Mike were a little way back down the road so the decent thing to do would have been to stop in Chew Magna and re-group. We ignored decency and carried on. By now Chris had weaved between the traffic congestion and was going out of sight up the road. I pulled over and waited for Sam and Mike and after re-grouping caught up with Chris who had waited about 650 miles further on just outside Winford. Chris then set off home leaving the three of us to make our own way back.

We re-traced our crank revolutions (was going to say steps but that doesn't work if your on a bike) back via the Airport and enjoyed a speedy descent of Redhill into Wrington. Came back via Banwell and Locking before I finally ran out of juice along the Locking road.

OJC: 1 (me)
    KFC: first 32 miles, 6/10, next 32 miles 9/10
    TTCR: 6/10 (nice coffee but floppy bacon and baps too big. Not often you hear me complain about that!)
    Stats: 67 miles, ave just over 16mph.
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:44 pm

Fantastic reports, thanks guys.

I want to know who is who out of BA Baracas, Face and Hannibal?

I vote Nick is BA Baracas - "you ain't getting me on no Halfords bike"

Sixth longest ride for the club.
    TTC - 9.5/10 - excellent food
    OJC - 2
    KF - 6.5/10 - long ride but not to fast except for Avonmouth when the "red mist" decended over Nick - 9/10
    Stats - http://ridewithgps.com/trips/2871581
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Obviously I'm face!

...although i do love it when a plan comes together.

i think 'mad' murdock was holed up for the day in the veteren's institution, ashburton.
    Pirate
    Pirate

Post  Pirate Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:26 pm

BA Baracus ? . . . not me FOOL! I'd rather be Mad Murdock, character wise - being a fruit loop an' all (until my tan improves).

Saturday's cafe stop in Wotton was perfect in all respects. Good ride Ivan, well done!

I have to say that these centenary rides becoming the norm is definitely to my liking. It opens our options up to other locations, such as in Wiltshire. Long may they continue.

pirat 

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 9:42 pm