Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

4 posters

Saturday 15th Feb

Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 15th Feb  Empty Saturday 15th Feb

Post  Martin Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:46 am

With another wet and very windy forecast for Saturday, here's my suggestion for a route:-

Hartley's Kitchen - Binegar

Toll road, Uphill, East Brent, Mark, Wedmoor, Cheddar Gorge (with a short stop option at The Mousehole), Priddy, Hartley's
    Binegar, Emborough, Chewton Mendip, West Harptree, Chew Valley lake, Nempnett Thrubwell, Butcombe, Wrington, Langford, Sandford, Puxton, Worle
    65 - 70 miles

We should feel some benefit of the wind on the way there and hopefully be sheltered on the way back.
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 15th Feb  Empty Re: Saturday 15th Feb

Post  anti-climb max Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:08 pm

if you all want a laugh, check out this link...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/bs22

i'm sure they've just cut and pasted the saturday forecast for the past 3 weeks.

hartley's sounds fine, but perhaps we should go a little more direct via shipham/tynings and keep the cheddar option open!
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 15th Feb  Empty Ride report

Post  Martin Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Nine riders for yet another poor weather day - extremely windy then hail, then rain. The proposed destination of Hartley's was changed to Burnham-on-Sea once the hail started lashing down. This started about half way up the Queensway in Worle. At this point Mars and Ian decided enough was enough and turned for home. The rest of us tip toed through the hail lying on the road and headed out to the seafront where Richard manly took up the front into the wind. When we got to the golf club he was knackered. Somewhere between Bleadon and BoS we lost Meirion but he eventually found us in the cafe. We choose the Chatterbox cafe instead of our usual Bay View and it was a good choice as the serive was good and the prices were even better and the radiators were on allowing some lucky people to dry their gloves.
    The ride was only 30 odd miles but with the wind it felt alot more.
    Ivan is leading another ride tomorrow probably out towards Podimore as the weather is suppossed to be alot better. Meet at his house at 9am or 9:20 at the Castle.

OJC - 2?
    TTC rating - 8 average tea cake but extra bonus points for it being buttered and cut by the staff!
    Knacker factor - 4 would have been less but the wind was very tough.
    Stats - http://ridewithgps.com/trips/2240022
    stubble07
    stubble07

Post  stubble07 Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:33 pm

Sat outside with a ice cool beer 4000 feet up a Swiss mountain under a patio heated looking at the sunsets behind the 10000 feet peaks. Great day skiing in hot sunny windless day.  sunny 
    Not jealous are we  Twisted Evil
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:56 pm

...but can you get a famous Olympic breakfast? Methinks not!
    Pirate
    Pirate

Post  Pirate Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:37 pm

I planned to miss today's ride, due to the terrible weather forecast. In Churchill the sun came out around 11 o'clock and I started to feel a little disappointed. Martin, thanks for the damning report - rain, hail, etc. Made me feel a lot better.

Meirion my friend, you need to get satnav.

Neil, I'm not jealous. I've got the 'Avon Ski Centre' if I feel the inclination. Nope, we don't miss you at all ! Hope the goggles don't mist up too much.

Tomorrow - Podimore Yeehah !

pirat

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:07 am