Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

4 posters

Saturday 24th August 2013 - Freshford near(ish) Farrington Gurney

Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 24th August 2013 - Freshford near(ish) Farrington Gurney Empty Saturday 24th August 2013 - Freshford near(ish) Farrington Gurney

Post  Martin Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Ivan can't make the ride this Saturday so I'm planning on heading for a new cafe at Freshwater past Farrington Gurney which should be less than 80 miles. We will go via Burrington Combe. At Farrington there will be an option to stop at the farm shop there for those that don't want to continue on to Freshford.
    Freshford is a tiny village but the community cafe is very good with seating inside and out. The menu is a bit limited but does do quiche, bacon sandwiches and cakes.

Here is the route we did on Tuesday to check it out:-
    http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1671120

I have made a couple of adjustments since then so hopefully it will be even better.
    stubble07
    stubble07

Saturday 24th August 2013 - Freshford near(ish) Farrington Gurney Empty Re: Saturday 24th August 2013 - Freshford near(ish) Farrington Gurney

Post  stubble07 Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:32 pm

Martin, seeing that you are leading the ride this Saturday and not to shoot off Williams style . I was wondering if you Could carry my 2 large full water bottles my pump, tubes, rain jacket, gels, energy bar, phone, and a few lead weights .We then all can stick together and you won't get cold waiting on top of Burrington . cheers
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 24th August 2013 - Freshford near(ish) Farrington Gurney Empty Re: Saturday 24th August 2013 - Freshford near(ish) Farrington Gurney

Post  Martin Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:40 pm

Very good Very Happy 

I will be trying to emulate the example set by Ivan by making sure i'm the last person up the hills :-).
    The forecast is good for Saturday and I think you will like the route with the possibility of getting the Strava KOM down one of the hills where Ivan got 48mph!

Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 24th August 2013 - Freshford near(ish) Farrington Gurney Empty Ride report

Post  Martin Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:14 pm

14 riders for a ride of two halves. We set off via Puxton, Burrington Combe, the Castle of Comfort, Emborough. At Farrington Gurney 4 riders took an early bath while the rest of us continued on to Freshford via Wellow. The route to the cafe was pretty good but there were some very big hills.
    At the cafe the provisions were a little lacking but some bacon sandwiches were rustled up and a bit of cake.
    The return leg was a bit longer than expected with an unintended detour via Trowbridge and Bradford-on-Avon. The total mileage was close to 90 miles.

Toasted tea cake rating - 4/10 (no teacakes and not much choice)
    OJC - 3?
    Knacker factor - 6/10

Stats (missing some data as my Garmin threw a couple of wobblies) - http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1688217
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Post  showmethecakes Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:53 pm

Might get this post twice - WiFi not all it should be in cheap hotels!
    Martin - you are getting as bad as Ivan - will be less than 80 but turns out more like 90!
    Like the idea of going somewhere different but shame the cake selection was a bit limited. Be back in UK soon after summer training camp. Legs felt like lead going over a bridge today! Total mileage for the two weeks - 75!sunny 
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:14 pm

There were definitely some people questioning my parentage. Especially Pete as I made the fatal mistake like Ivan of saying it was just 5 more miles to the cafe when it was nearer 10 :-)
    Looking forward to next weeks ride which should be a normal 70 miler or is that 90!

Martin
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:01 pm

It's nice to know that the group will continue in the right vein when I join the Saturday tiddley winks league next week.

Unfortunately, there's a good chance that I won't pass the physical, so who's for Shaftesbury on Saturday?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 1:30 am