Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

3 posters

Wenesday 6th June. Lakes of Blagdon and Chew.

stubble07
    stubble07

Wenesday 6th June. Lakes of Blagdon and Chew. Empty Wenesday 6th June. Lakes of Blagdon and Chew.

Post  stubble07 Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:58 pm

Nick and I turned up at 8:45 thinking what route could we do to brown are arms and legs off. We were about to ride into the sun towards isle of Avalon

When over the horizon came a lone figure we vaguely recognized, followed by a couple more on his tail. We couldn't believe our wheels. cheers There in front of us were men of renown Pillars of our Chain gang. Stout worthy Keith with is slim toned body. Followed by The great come back Kid Bernie, with a few extra pounds of hard man flesh. followed by Dave T in his Full WSM Chain Gang Team kit. When we got over the shock of seeing our Fellow founders, There riding towards us was none other then the man of all what is cycling in the world of Saturday Country Green lanes. General Gordon Our Leader of old.
    Blow me down with a bike pump, Nick and I were in for some chatty riding today. We forgot about Hills and sprints, we were riding with Nephilims.
    Gordon of little hills, took us to the café on the lake. with the sun shining and the pleasure of the cycling along the green grassy lanes of forgotten byways. We soon arrived at a small but steep hill where Nick and I thought we better stay
    and watch the masters on how to climb with style and grace.
    Keith soon had us gasping for air as we tried to catch his wheel followed by checkered Dave T out of his saddle like a dog after the ball.
    Bernie and Gordon happily sitting back in their seat watching the drama unfold. Nick and I looked at each other and thought we better not be left behind.
    so off we raced to the top with sweat in our eyes, we just made it to top in time before Keith wiped passed us. Bernie somehow made it up next, with a shout of " Get out of the way can,t stop " Properly needed to spin out the momentous effort of coming in front of Dave T and Gordon.
    The descent down towards Chew and its delightful waters was a swish of colure and breeze a relief from the monster climb.

The café on the shore of Chew had us sitting outside for the first time this year, for me anyway.
    The service was quick and the food and drink was refreshing. The talk was of good humor.
    Sadly all good friends have to part their ways with promises of next encounters and rides.
    For Nick and I longed to see the mountains of Medips, We bid them God speed and many tailwind journeys.

Just like that they where gone again. Crying or Very sad

With a slight tear and sadness in our faces we were off to the Glass tower and beyond.
    With speed and flare we headed towards the climb of comfort ( Pub on top of the hill )
    It seemed to me the way up ended suddenly, we were soon on the downward route to Wells.
    Wells to Glass on berry was where Nick picked up the pace for 8 miles of harming me into the tarmac, only managing to get on the front for the last mile.
    Nick legs started to shout "Enough" for all that hard work, he had the dreaded cramp near Sweets café. so off we stop for a breather and a brew.
    The rouge took us the easy way back towards Mark and Home
    70 miles for me and a bit wobbly legged at the end. pale
    really lovey day and company. Very Happy
    Nice to see Bernie on his bike again after his illness Very Happy

Last edited by stubble07 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Pirate
    Pirate

Wenesday 6th June. Lakes of Blagdon and Chew. Empty Re: Wenesday 6th June. Lakes of Blagdon and Chew.

Post  Pirate Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Nice account of the day Neil - very romantically put.

Yes, an enjoyable day all round, with a good mix of leg spinning and friendly chat. The only thing that we lacked was a good old fashioned argument with the driving public. Ahh, bring back the good old days of threats, name calling and key snapping frivolity . . . .

. . . . naah, on second thoughts!
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Wenesday 6th June. Lakes of Blagdon and Chew. Empty Re: Wenesday 6th June. Lakes of Blagdon and Chew.

Post  Martin Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:16 pm

Very poetic report - well done.
    I was out Wednesday lunch time and saw Bernie and Gordon by the Crem but didnt have time to chat. Good to hear they are all still cycling and doing well.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:09 pm