Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

3 posters

saturday 7th June - glastonsweefenney....ish

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

saturday 7th June - glastonsweefenney....ish Empty saturday 7th June - glastonsweefenney....ish

Post  anti-climb max Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:01 pm

Wet forecast.

So usual let's see.

We'll head south. If forecast is correct we'll be lucky to get past Burnham.

Last edited by anti-climb max on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
    Pirate
    Pirate

saturday 7th June - glastonsweefenney....ish Empty Re: saturday 7th June - glastonsweefenney....ish

Post  Pirate Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:42 am

The weather was certainly a factor this morning with only about 5 riders showing at Priory. Although it wasn't raining at the start it looked like it would be very soon. The morning's tedium was disrupted when a young driver decided to overtake the peloton and lose an argument with a traffic island. The overtaking procedure was thwarted as the tyre blew out, providing Adrian with much amusement.

Jeanie & myself made up the numbers at the Anchor and with a grand total of 7 we proceeded south down Accommodation Road. Sure enough, as the forecast had predicted, the sky decided upon us, although the rain eased slightly as we made our way around Berrow and through Burnham. Another interesting incident occurred when a car towing a caravan thought he could overtake us whilst another car was pulling out on the opposite side of the road. The car skidding 20 yards with a potentially jack-knifing caravan behind provide more entertainment value for Adrian and me, but the rest of the team out in front were oblivious to it. Because of the inclement weather we pulled into our coffee stop pretty early at Rich's Cider Farm in Watchfield. Marcella & Ian took the decision to continue on without stopping and make their way home. Whilst we were indulging in our usual lattes and 'catchapenals' the heavens oened and we were glad to be inside. However, a couple of big breakfasts later Jeanie noticed a small blue hole in the clouds heading our way.

Ah, the sun shines on the righteous and leaving the cafe we were indeed blessed with sunshine and warmth. We continued south then through Bason Bridge and East Huntspill and then made our way east across the levels following the hill-line south of Wedmore. After a puncture was dealt with swiftly by Paul, Jeanie pealed off leaving only 4 of us who pushed on to Theale. We picked up the Wells Road through Panborough and then cut north east towards Wookey. The ascent onto the Mendips was taken via Ebor Gorge, which never fails to disappoint and Adrian took the opportunity to give us a climbing demonstration as he pulled away rapidly. At Priddy we turned right and then left onto the Old Bristol Road, before picking up the road down Burrington. No records were broken today due to the wet surface, but the descent was still enjoyable.

So, through Langford and Churchill and then on to Puxton in the usual enthusiastic way. I decided to do an extra loop here and helped out on the front before Ivan took the sprint at Puxton (surprise surprise!). The remaining 3 then proceeded through to Worle and I returned to Churchill via Banwell making my total mileage 62 miles. Not bad for a wet day !

OJC ?
    Breakfast rating 8/10
    KF 5/10

pirat
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

saturday 7th June - glastonsweefenney....ish Empty Re: saturday 7th June - glastonsweefenney....ish

Post  Martin Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:12 am

Thanks for the report Nick.
    I'm glad I missed the rain but shame I missed the Ebor Gorge climb. It must have been a tough ascent with such a steep gradient and wet roads.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:35 pm