Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

2 posters

Saturday 16th September - North

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 16th September - North Empty Saturday 16th September - North

Post  anti-climb max Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:10 am

North

Usual northern route via Congresbury, Yatton and Kenn Moor.

Tri stop Bristol.
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 16th September - North Empty Weather Report

Post  showmethecakes Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:58 am

Ten set off from Priory for North. En route we decided that North would be Chepstow. Chepstow then became Thornbury as Nine Pints wanted to visit the Whore House. The Autumn Leaves (Cannonball Adderley) are already falling and the weather was decidedly dodgy but that didn't stop some stupid idiots coming out on best bikes with fingerless gloves and no jacket. Summertime (Gershwin) was clearly over and the rain started to fall almost straight away. I was all set to Take the A Train (Duke Ellington) home but the thought of a Bitches Brew (Miles Davis) at the Whore House spurred me on.

There are many excuses to abort a ride such as mechanical problems, the gotta get back option, falling out with the bunch or just being plain stupid and getting lost. Straight in at number one in this weeks chart is: "The Dog Sitter has Let me Down". Originally released as a B side to "Does my bum look big in Lycra?" this new recording by The Belle Princess of Fresh Air ft. Howling Dog has topped the excuses chart this week.

At the top of Belmont we decided to Take Five (Dave Brubeck) after our exertions before the Beggar Bush Rant. The sun finally made an appearance - Mercy, Mercy, Mercy (Cannonball Adderley). What a Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong). As usual I sucked the wheels like a Freddie Freeloader (Miles Davis) before giving it Body and Sole (Coleman Hawkins) to take the sprint.

After Bristol the pace picked up towards Tockington causing splits in the group. By Old Down we had lost Ivan and Martin who had allegedly taken the correct route. However, the Strava Gods clearly show their 'correct route' as a 500 metre ride up the wrong road hastily followed by a 180 back onto the correct route. The wait seemed eternal and we anticipated getting to Thornbury Around Midnight (Thelonious Monk). Artur had a little tete a tete with the Girl From Ipanema (Stan Getz) driving her Fiat 500 up the high street. Eventually we completed our Maiden Voyage (Herbie Hancock) to Thornbury and found the cafe which was actually called Hawkes House!

As we sat waiting for our refreshments we undertook a bit of Ornithology (Charlie Parker). Service was understandably slow as we had descended upon the cafe without warning. Pete was the last to get his food. "At Last" (Etta James) he sighed as he tucked into his poached eggs and ham. Meanwhile the Jazz tunes just kept coming.

We followed the same route back passing Mundy Playing Fields. Would have liked to have gone in and had a go on the swings and slides but it was a Saturday. As it turns out it didn't have a swing anyway which was disappointing as It Don't Mean a Thing (If it Ain't got that Swing) (Louis Armstrong?). We made a slight detour to take in one of My Favourite Things (John Coltrane) - the delights of Avonmouth. After giving a motorist a lot of abuse who was actually quite a nice motorist and wanted a chat we arrived in said place, re-grouped and headed for home. Across Kenn Moor Nick tried to get a One O'Clock Jump (Count Basie) on the bunch but was reeled in at considerable effort. How we laughed at the prospect of three 50+ men arriving in A+E and being asked: "What's wrong?" - "I rode my bike too fast".

It wasn't going to be a Saturday ride without some sort of abuse from a motorist. Down the A370 a couple of louts in a car decided we shouldn't be riding two a breast. Needs to learn his Highway Code - we Ain't Misbehaving (Fats Waller). Got to the point where they considered a punch up but one of them decided that Four on Six (Wes Montgomery) as a simplified fraction, two on three, as there were two of them and at least six of us was not going to turn out well for them.

OJC: 0?, TTCR: 8/10, KFC: 7/10
    Any one think of how to make reference to Mack the Knife in the report?
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 16th September - North Empty Re: Saturday 16th September - North

Post  anti-climb max Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:49 pm

I'm sure that one of the waiters was called Jack and he forgot to bring out a fork; will that do?

Sponsored content

Saturday 16th September - North Empty Re: Saturday 16th September - North

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:59 pm