Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

2 posters

Saturday 7th May - BeaverGuinnessVille

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 7th May - BeaverGuinnessVille Empty Saturday 7th May - BeaverGuinnessVille

Post  anti-climb max Wed May 04, 2016 5:25 pm

Now more famous for Dave Beaver's crash (where isn't?) than it's Guinness cake, Sherborne is fast becoming a regular haunt.

Route out will be Wolvershill, Banwell Castle, Christon/Loxton should you want to latch on. We'll then ride through Rooksbridge, Burtle, Somerton and Podimore which offers a few tri-stop options.

Total mileage should be around 99, (still too cold for 100 milers.)
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 7th May - BeaverGuinnessVille Empty Re: Saturday 7th May - BeaverGuinnessVille

Post  showmethecakes Fri May 06, 2016 8:01 pm

Lofty and me will latch on at the t junction in Loxton about 9:30.
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 7th May - BeaverGuinnessVille Empty Re: Saturday 7th May - BeaverGuinnessVille

Post  anti-climb max Fri May 06, 2016 9:41 pm

The tour of Yorkshire is over. It's the junction, not T junction.
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Fri May 06, 2016 9:44 pm

We'll be turning right at T bottom of T hill, so you meet thee at Tup banana corner if you want to save yourself a furlong.
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Post  showmethecakes Fri May 06, 2016 11:10 pm

Okey dokey. I'll drop whippet off on t way and let pigeons out before I set off from t house.
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 7th May - BeaverGuinnessVille Empty The Land That Time Forgot

Post  showmethecakes Sun May 08, 2016 10:33 am

There are several mythical places known to the world such as the Lost City of Atlantis and Shangri La. Anything beginning with Sher now also seems to disappear into the mist of time, a certain horse that mysteriously disappeared and now the whole town of Sherborne - the Town that Time Forgot.

Generally on a ride there will inevitably be a few stops for a leak or two. Not the Welsh type but the golden sabre variety that allows every rider to save weight without spending £250 on a pair of shoes. I mean, who would do that?

Anyway, the ride had barely got going when there was a pss stop. Ivan's brand new(!) tyre had sprung a leak and was passing wind all over the place. Not to worry, Tony and Paul made excellent use of the time to discuss mobile phone coverage and the intermittent 4G signal in Banwell. About 5 miles further on three riders had that look of despair that generally comes from finding a hole in your rubber half way through a good ride. Someone thought it might be the flintstones but I must confess that I didn't see Barney or Fred but there was definitely a yabadabadoo when we finally set off again.

When we arrived in Somerton it was evident that Sherborne was out of reach. Option two was Podimore but there was a distinct lack of interest in a visit to the Little Shite. So we decided to sit in the sun in the cafe garden while Ivan carried out yet more repairs and we chuckled at the thought of two Thai women and an Englishman winning the lottery with six matching balls.

Nice bit of variety to the route home. Okay it was one road different to usual but it made a change to do one of the English monuments. Don't know who was being commemorated but he certainly had a massive hard one with a knob on the top.

There was the usual rant across Butleigh to Glastonbury followed by a more stupid rant from Glastonbury to Meare which was unfortunately scuppered by the sixth puncture of the day. Some good times set on Strava at various points on the way home so a big pat on the back to everyone who managed to hold a wheel on the way home and a larger pat on the back to those who took turns on the front.

Queen Jeanie gets the prize for the most aggressive rider. She just need to work a bit more on her angry face and gob into other people's coffee while uttering swear words and I think she'll have it nailed.

Good ride lads and lasses. Oops, back to Yorkshire speak again.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:52 pm