Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

4 posters

Wednesday 17 August. Timsbury Eastern Promise

Keep up lad!
    Keep up lad!

Wednesday 17 August.  Timsbury Eastern Promise Empty Wednesday 17 August. Timsbury Eastern Promise

Post  Keep up lad! Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:50 am

Hot, dry, sunny and a light E/SE wind. Got to take advantage of that!
    With a light breeze to gently waft us home let's try another new venue. Connies Café at Timsbury.
    Route out via Puxton, Sandford, Wrington, Redhill. Around 55 miles
    Seeing as the weather is so good we will make an early start this week so lets meet at 08.58.
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Wednesday 17 August.  Timsbury Eastern Promise Empty Re: Wednesday 17 August. Timsbury Eastern Promise

Post  Martin Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:59 am

Blimey thats a coincidence! I was just searching the map for new cafes and came across Connies!
    Looks like a large nice cafe for such a small village.
    See you tomorrow early at 08:57.59 for the ride to the new cafe.

showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Wednesday 17 August.  Timsbury Eastern Promise Empty Re: Wednesday 17 August. Timsbury Eastern Promise

Post  showmethecakes Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:47 pm

Bonjour mes amis!
    8:58! What's all that malarkey? It's still holiday time. See you at 9:01. Don't forget your onions and berets - I'm still in French mode which also means I'll be crap on the bike. Particularly after my trip to the bottle bank at the end of the fortnight where I deposited 62 lager bottles and 12 wine bottles. Ouch. I'll pay for that tomorrow.
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:17 pm

Bonjour.

I'm not a maths teacher but that works out at 4.4 lagers and almost a bottle of wine a day!!!

So tomorrow is certainly last of the summer wine if theres any left :-)
    Forcast is changing for the weekend.

So slap on the suncream and get ready for Connie at Timsbury.

See you at 08:58 to 08:59 BST

Keep up lad!
    Keep up lad!

Post  Keep up lad! Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:49 pm

The wind is in from Africa
    And last night I couldn't sleep
    Oh you know it sure is hard to leave here
    But we'll be gone at 9.01.
    Laser light

Wednesday 17 August.  Timsbury Eastern Promise Empty Saturday

Post  Laser light Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:46 pm

I hope you enjoyed riding in the nice weather today as it's not predicted to last. In fact Saturday looks awful with 45 - 55 mph winds. Do we think about moving to Sunday? Are you in charge Martin while Ivan does his Grand Tour?
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Post  showmethecakes Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:20 pm

I think the plan is to ride Sunday but wait for Martin to confirm.

As for today not another week must go by without a detailed report so here it is....

It was almost the magnificent 7 ride again but there was only six of us. So the special 6 set off and were immediately joined by Chris to make it 7. Hurrah. We were anticipating Ivan making an appearance but he's reportedly in France with something large and throbbing between his legs.

At Churchill 'The Angry One' got lippy with a stage coach driver and had to be talked down from a gunfight by 'Six Shooter Steve'. We were then led down the A38 by 'The Man with a Name - Micha' followed by 'Blazing Pants' et al. At the Wrington staging post we were joined by 'The Dandy Highwayman'. Bad Ass Bernie popped into the saloon to shoot off his weapon before remounting and riding off into the sun with a bit of cloud and a warm North Easterly, 5 or 6, decreasing 3 by 1600.

Over the top of Redhill a stage coach was being robbed as the road was blocked ahead. Like many other Cowboys we took to the prairie trail but within a mile or so we were encircled by Indians, one of them driving a f****** great truck which took up about 200% of the available road. The boys had prepared for this eventuality having all, at some stage, walked into a gay bar and practised 'backs to the wall'. Bikes were buried deep into hedgrows followed by our arses. We stood to attention and waited patiently as the lorry grazed our helmets on its way through. Now hedges are not quite so solid as walls so I'm glad there were no gay farmers in the field behind.

Blazing Pants was convinced there was a second turning to take us to Winford as we had just ridden past the first one. Sure enough there was the left turn which was no better than a farm track at the bottom causing Blazing Pants' steed to go lame. While Blazing Pants gently put his steed to rest with both barrels Bad Ass and Kick my Butt Keith continued to head east in search of a watering hole. The rest of the possy following behind.

At a key junction Six Shooter dismounted and put his ear to the ground. "Two bikes with old men heading east. If we take the mountain path we can head them off at the A37 and get to the watering hole before them." Sure enough, as night follows day, the slippery seven got to the cafe first.

Connies Hotel had all the usual trappings of a Wild West hostel. The women of the town were serving their menfolk while the sheriff sat quietly in the window watching for gunslingers coming into town. A toothless old man belted out honky tonk on a beaten up old piano while the cowboys downed their drinks. Bad Ass got into an argument about where to park his steed and before you could say "Look, there's Bernie having an argument with that women about where to park his bike" he'd gunned her down.

The magnificent 7 plus two became the minority 3 and a pair plus two loners as we all galloped away to cross the county line back into Somerset.

OJC: 2
    KFC: 6/10
    TTCR: 8/10 (priceybutnice).
    Keep up lad!
    Keep up lad!

Post  Keep up lad! Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:04 am

Rumour has it that Bad Ass and Kick my Butt headed on down to the old saloon after the ride and got wasted on booze.  Their women folk sure gave them a hard time and threatened to blow them away with a shotgun when they finally arrived back at the ranch at sundown.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 pm