Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

+2
BaronBanana
anti-climb max
6 posters

Saturday 7th February - SAAAAAFF to Somerton

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 7th February - SAAAAAFF to Somerton Empty Saturday 7th February - SAAAAAFF to Somerton

Post  anti-climb max Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:14 pm

forecast is cloudy but dry with yet another northerly wind, but we can't keep going north and east forever.... so south at last!

the wind shouldn't be too strong and with jim on the front all the way back it shouldn't be too difficult clown

route out will be toll road, anchor, brent knoll should you wish to latch on.

tri-stop will be truckers at ashcott.
    BaronBanana

Saturday 7th February - SAAAAAFF to Somerton Empty Re: Saturday 7th February - SAAAAAFF to Somerton

Post  BaronBanana Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:33 pm

http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#251541014,uEf9Dm+7/Q4q+P0OQ/n9DhUC/g7XKf4OtDj+DndZ/w6Njv8O

A speedy 12 minute puncture stop by my watch! Laughing

Thanks for the ride today, enjoyed it as always (even if I was nearly sick, had every muscle in my legs cramp up and my BB sounded like it was disintegrating)!

See you again next week!
    Pirate
    Pirate

Saturday 7th February - SAAAAAFF to Somerton Empty Re: Saturday 7th February - SAAAAAFF to Somerton

Post  Pirate Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:39 am

I’m not sure how many cycling geeks turned up at Priory as my counting skills were never that good, but there must have been more than 15. As expected we headed for Weston sea front via the toll road, which routinely provides the first opportunity to rant. I would say that nothing eventful happened after that, but the ride down to Somerton was at times challenging with Welsh Paul throwing down the gauntlet and either myself, Chris, Martin or the Burnsmeister picking it up. We proceeded through East Huntspill and Woolavington before turning east along the Poldens to Shapwick, where half the group stopped at Truckers. Now the A39 through Ashcott is usually pretty quick for us but unfortunately on this occasion we encountered a lot of car driving faggots who have nothing better to do on a Saturday morning than moan about cyclists. Never mind, there’s always Cockrod to bring a smile to your face.

At Somerton the cafe staff were on form and never failed to serve the correct drinks or food . . . . . hmmmm, perhaps I shouldn’t comment then. Never the less they provided a warm and friendly atmosphere for us noisy cycling folk and the bread was top nosh. When most of us decided it was time to go Jeanie did all she could to attract Burnsy who quite clearly had not eaten all his beans. Far too busy gassing to notice the cheers every time any food entered his mouth – oh what fun we had!

The return journey from Somerton was predominantly against the wind, but we pushed through with great enthusiasm. Heading west towards Ham Hill before turning north across the Westhay Moor to Pedwell. Up to Truckers and down through Shapwick and the usual route through Burtle to Mark. At Rooksbridge, Welsh Paul gave us a masterclass in puncture repair and before you knew it we were killing ourselves again against the wind. The group split at Shiplate Road and we made our merry way on to our respective aboads to soak our muscles and regale our spouses about tales of daring do. I’ll be quite frank by saying my legs knew all about the 75 miles I’d just done!

Perhaps Martin would be kind enough to provide the stats? Add more comments if you wish.

Until next week then.

pirat

Post  Guest Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:48 pm

I'm very disappointed with your write-up Mr Pirate.....you forgot to mention the "other hole" joke!

It's the way he told it, complete with a Scottish accent! Lol

I was really enjoying the 'through and off' we were doing along the levels. I was 4th in the line, Mr Pirate pulled to the side, through we went, Paul B pulled to the side, through we went, Ivan pulled to the side (immediately!).... And it was my turn! Trying my hardest to keep the speed going, the pain eventually got too much, I pulled to the side, stopped pedalling, getting ready to join the back of the train, Paul B came through, then.........no-one! Everyone had bailed about 1/4 mile back, leaving me in no-mans land! What a horrible place that is. Paul B had gone, I was never going to catch him! Luckily, I got a puncture and had to pull over for a rest! Lol

Great ride guys, and kudos to the three musketeers who took a right up Bleadon Hill just for good measure.

My legs are feeling it today

See you next week
    Pirate
    Pirate

Post  Pirate Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:46 pm

Paul your comment about "the other hole" joke is quite justified . . . .

It's your god given right!

pirat
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:05 pm

Incomplete stats this week as my Garmin gave up. It was probably knackered like me!

KF - 4.975 / 5
    TTC - 4/5 nice bread
    OJC - 3/5?
    Stats - http://ridewithgps.com/trips/4070376
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:33 pm

it was meant to be an irish accent!

good reports, sorry about the lack of support out there yesterday, just wasn't feeling 100%; it was as much as i could do to take the odd sprint.

maybe next/week/month/year/12th of never.

glad you enjoyed it though, long may this dry weather continue, it's great for cycling and drying the washing, just put yesterday's kit out on the line, needless to say the neighbours are impressed by how well hung my articles are.
    Keep up lad!
    Keep up lad!

Post  Keep up lad! Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:35 pm

After a fairly brisk ride to the stop at Truckers, most of us managed to keep up with the A team, however the thoughts of hammering it back at 20mph agin t wind put some of us off continuing to Somerton.  

And so it came to pass,  bikes in the shed, tea and toast and talk of the ‘old days’ for us remaining old gits.  Sorry!  B team members.  

9 riders began the route back at a good pace with Andy, Sam and yours truly taking turns on the front.  An unheard of occurrence, for me anyway!  Pace had to be reduced a bit after the first 6 or 7 miles as some were falling behind and a definite route hadn’t been agreed on.  Or if there had, no one was owning up to knowing it.  Does this happen on other club rides? Oooh no!  All went according to the no plan we were sticking to until, whilst stopping to regroup at the junction of West Road before Lympsham, Sam headed for a halt in someone’s driveway on the right but unfortunately Andy didn’t and there was a coming together, resulting in Sam and bike on the tarmac.   Fortunately at low speed but enough to damage his rear.  Both mech and muscle. I think I may have seen a post in the driveway but I can’t be sure.  Bet you were glad you weren’t on the new Evo Sam?  6 riders completed the return to Weston seafront, the others heading home by their own routes.  No punctures either.  Yipee!!  Maybe the aufvredesteins are working.  

See everyone next Saturday, or before
    BaronBanana

Post  BaronBanana Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:50 pm

Welsh Paul wrote:Everyone had bailed about 1/4 mile back, leaving me in no-mans land!

You can blame me for that!... I hit one of those nasty ruts in the road and in my attempt to swerve out of it I nearly diverted Andy into the ditch!

I hate to admit it but I think I will always skip the right up Bleadon Hill haha!!!

Hope the ego's of the guys involved in the B team 'incident' aren't too bruised!

Do we know if the BBC Sports Correspondent got any decent footage? Very Happy
    Sam roth

Post  Sam roth Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:22 pm

I was simply trying out the throw and off. Have I got the wrong end of the stick!! Because it didn't work. Just glad Andy stayed on. Great ride back. Thanks again

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:47 pm