Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

5 posters

Saturday 22nd April - Northern Soul

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 22nd April - Northern Soul Empty Saturday 22nd April - Northern Soul

Post  anti-climb max Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:49 am

It's been tup while since we've tup north.

We'll aim for tup Bristol and then head on for tup Thornbury or similar. Probably a bit brass knockers und cloudy to head up to Berkeley moor bar tat but if ye ur feeling like greased whippets then ye ur most welcome and be tekkin off me tamashanter off to thee.

Route out will be usual northerner and tri stop will be tup Bristol.

Big thanks to Steve for tup Yorkshire dialect support.

'By ek, me reeeet glad thuts over.'
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 22nd April - Northern Soul Empty Re: Saturday 22nd April - Northern Soul

Post  showmethecakes Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:22 am

**** ****, ******** ****.

Last edited by showmethecakes on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I've just edited the ride Report to remove all expletives as after 1 hour of typing it failed to upload it or save it. Will try again later.)
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 22nd April - Northern Soul Empty Take 2

Post  showmethecakes Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:07 pm

There was a good variety of characters out including Ivan's personal trainer - Paul. Paying for a personal trainer is clearly worth its weight in gold as it soon became apparent that Ivan had been making a school boy error all these years. He's been obsessed with his weight to power ratio which has steadily been increasing over the years. Only now has it become clear that he should have been working on his power to weight ratio! He is also experimenting with compression wear to increase blood flow to all the vital organs. For those of you not familiar with current developments in sports science this was previously known as a corset.

Anyhow, I was glad to see Ivan's return as the pace of the bunch was going to be limited to something more leisurely. The 18mph up the A370 suited me fine apart from the fact that at the back of the bunch I was hitting more pot holes than a neurotic gardener. To improve matters I rode to the front but politely kept the speed down to about 19. Like North Korean diplomacy, Lofty, Neil and Nick seemed to misinterpret this as a hostile act and launched a ballistic missile up the road. Also like North Korea it fizzled out at Congresbury when we stopped to regroup and for Paul to fix a puncture.

Ivan was keen to stick to his training regime and said he would go on up the road at his own pace. The vast majority of riders then went with him to leave a small but select group ready to pace Paul back to the fold. However, unknown to Andy, Neil, Nine Pints, myself and Lofty, Paul had shot off down Yatton High Street after fixing his puncture to save time. As soon as this information filtered through to the DS Lofty set off to chase down the various groups up the road. Across Kenn Moor Lofty pulled us along at about 24's, I then took over for a bit before Andy went to the front. It was all going rather well but it soon became clear that Nine Pints had a team mate in the breakaway and when his turn on the front came he stalled the chase, reducing the speed down to 20's.

It didn't really matter in the end as Paul was waiting with group 2 at the end of Kenn Moor. We cheerily waved as we rode straight past them and on up the road to Nailsea. It all came together again shortly after and despite my earlier optimism I now doubted if we would catch the main group before Belmont. I needn't have worried as we soon joined a queue of slow moving traffic up the hill to Wraxall which could only mean one thing - there was some slow moving traffic up ahead. We then met up with Ivan and the whole group reassembled for the run up to Belmont.

There was the usual shananagans down Beggar Bush with what Ivan later described as something similar to a pro-tour sprint. The similarities being that there was a bunch of nutters on bikes spread 5 across the road trying to pedal fast. The similarities ending with the fact that there were no time bonuses on the line and no prize for coming first at the lights. In terms of suitable prizes I was thinking along the lines of pro-tour races such as when Tom Simpson won a cow for a stage finishing in a famous farming area and other riders picking up a years supply of cheese for crossing the line first in Comte or something. As Paul crossed the line first along Beggar Bush I think it only right and proper that he be offered a beggars bush for his own personal use.

In Clifton white van man was in evidence although in the gender neutral environment we currently live in I like to think of them as plonkers with honkers. You can still tell male and female drivers apart as the men generally have one large one while the women tend to go for a pair of honkers.

Paul led us through the back streets of Bristol via Gloucester, York, Chicago and New Dehli before arriving in Shirehampton (abbr. Shi'ton.). After a run down to Blaise Castle we re-grouped for the final run to the cafe. I couldn't say exactly where the cafe was as, according to Strava, the Dandy Highway reckons he went to Berkely, I thought it was Almondsbury and others thought it was some place called Morning Ride. Martin got closest by realising that the last place we passed through before the cafe was Over.

I can't fault the cafe staff for the slow service. After all it's not every day 16 fit young cyclists roll into your cafe demanding highly balanced cuisine for elite athletes. How was your full English Nick? Shame you forgot to order black pudding with it and I am surprised you turned down Paul's offer of some of his own home made stuff. While waiting Pete had 40 winks and was dreaming of scrambled eggs on toast. After 40 minutes he woke up to find his dream had come true! I don't think anyone went for a second course of scrambled eggs, or even a third course. Sometimes the thought of sloppy seconds or thirds just doesn't appeal. A cream slice might have been nice but I couldn't see any available.

I know the continentals bang on about their cafe culture but let's not do ourselves down here. We had informed discussion throughout our stay: Ivan - "Who sang that song?". Nine Pints, bang, straight in there with: "Bardot, 1982 Eurovision entry." followed by various impressions of Terry Wogan. Classy.

Not much happened on the way back. Some bunch of speed freaks decided to go as fast as they could on the run in to Avonmouth which was surprisingly quiet for a Saturday afternoon. It almost made riding through it bearable. A lot of us bagged top 10's on Strava before we slogged up over the bridge and onwards to Portishead. The pace was kept high all the way to Clevedon. Back across Kenn Moor we had the usual rant with the breakaway of myself, Lofty and Neil keeping the bunch at bay. Like a wayward horse in the grand national, Ivan's bike tried to veer to the right for an ice-cream in Yatton but good work with the reins pulled it straight and onwards to Congresbury.

Back at Weston, home of the Wheelers no less, the group split up and headed for home, content with their day out.

OJC: 3, TTCR: 8/10 (allowance made for slow service), KFC: 7/10, Mileage about 75.
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 22nd April - Northern Soul Empty Re: Saturday 22nd April - Northern Soul

Post  Martin Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:35 pm

To the the editor.

Dear sir,

I have just read this weeks ride report and must congratulate the young hack on his writing abilities.
    Its always a pleasure to round the week off reading about the various japes and scrapes the WCG get into.
    I can now go to bed with a satisfied feeling and look forward to more shenanigans next week :-)

Yours fully satisfied

Pants on fire.
    donkypace

Post  donkypace Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:04 pm

Lol
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:56 pm

WTF whatever the f#ck that means
    Keep up lad!
    Keep up lad!

Post  Keep up lad! Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:39 pm

Eeh up serry. Whats agate? Ah dunno whos bin advisin thee about yorksher dilect but it int me. Awe reckon tha needs a proper lancisher eggspert. Check out mi uncle. Harvey Fitton o' Shaw

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:47 pm