Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

3 posters

Saturday 5th March - Thorn in my side

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 5th March - Thorn in my side Empty Saturday 5th March - Thorn in my side

Post  anti-climb max Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:40 pm

I'll try not to mention the forecast this week (damn, done it again!!!)

This week we'll be heading North to the sleepy town of Thornbury to partake in the quaint Gloucestershire atmosphere, (failing that, we'll just go to the local MacDonald's.)

I reckon distance should be similar to a Che#+tow run (75-80 ish.)

Route out will be either Nailsea, Belmont or Clevedon, Pill Hill (the hill from Pill.) But regardless, we'll set off along the A370 to Congresbury, then Yatton and Kenn Moor should you wish to latch on.

Tri-Curious can alight in Bristol.

Philnaan

Saturday 5th March - Thorn in my side Empty Re: Saturday 5th March - Thorn in my side

Post  Philnaan Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:26 pm

Alveston oh Alveston. I think our favourite girl needs her own song!
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 5th March - Thorn in my side Empty Re: Saturday 5th March - Thorn in my side

Post  anti-climb max Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:33 pm

Alverie call on me; come and see me, I'm the same boy I used to be.
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 5th March - Thorn in my side Empty Short ride report

Post  showmethecakes Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:48 pm

What's it to be? A short-ride report, or a short ride report? Mmm, the nuances of the English language!

I thought there was some Spring madness in the air when Strava indicated that Karl and Wayne had done two laps of Wick St Lawrence before arriving at the EPO (in-joke for those that know) meeting point. However, the official start time of 8:50 was delayed while Jeannie wrote and posted her last will and testament, presumably in view of the fact that she would be riding once again with a complete bunch of nutters and surely her luck would run out soon.

Undaunted by the nagging northerly (that is a wind reference before any northerners start complaining), a brisk pace was set up the A370 to Congresbury. This was reduced to a relative stroll to Clevedon and then Portishead where two emergency vehicles had to negotiate their way past a long line of riders. The ambulance that went by was unanimously booed by the bunch as clearly anything full of drugs that incorporates the name 'Lance' has no place in the modern era of cycling.

The footbridge over the M5 provides interesting viewing on Strava. Top average speed over the bridge is apparently 71 kph which is quite amazing seeing as the maximum speed that particular rider achieved was about 20 kph! Perhaps the rider was in the back of that ambulance.

Lofty then asked how far the hill climb would be. About 1.5 miles I lied, to make him feel better about it. Bit stupid really as the segment is called 'Two Mile Hill'! A re-group at the top allowed me to advise Lofty about the mad dash for the Leigh Woods lights. Like all good coaches I suggested his best strategy would be to get on a certain wheel about half way down Beggar Bush Lane and then cling on for dear life. What I did not tell him because I did not know is that the bunch sprint was going to start at the top of Two Mile Hill, about 3 miles from Leigh Woods traffic lights! Oh well, live and learn.

Ivan then decided it was time for a game of 'How many dog owners can you annoy?' He warned us that the path might be slippery. He was right, that squashed dog under Karl's wheel certainly did make bike handling a bit tricky.

The Thornbury thrash then set off from Blaise and the short option headed for Kings Weston House. The magnificent seven who had opted for the short ride had an uneventful ride home. Two or three riders dished out a bit of pain on the front but then paid for it into a headwind from Sandford to Puxton.

Stats: OJC- 2, TTCR - 8/10, KFC - 6/10

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:35 am