Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

+3
BaronBanana
Martin
anti-climb max
7 posters

Saturday 21st March - the land of some fathers (do 'ave 'em)

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 21st March - the land of some fathers (do 'ave 'em) Empty Saturday 21st March - the land of some fathers (do 'ave 'em)

Post  anti-climb max Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:41 pm

CHEPSTOW again...........it's one of my favourite destinations, so you'd better get used to it!!! and now we've found a good cafe there's no reason not to go there more regularly.

with a dry forecast throughout the week the roads should be good and the forecast 13mph NE wind should help us home.

route out will be puxton, congresbury and tri-stop can be bristol.

PS: this is my 222nd post, should i do a little jig on 2 legs (cricket joke... google 111 nelson if you're interested, which i doubt.)

Saturday 21st March - the land of some fathers (do 'ave 'em) Empty Re: Saturday 21st March - the land of some fathers (do 'ave 'em)

Post  Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:15 am

Ivan, Have you done this route before? Can you remember roughly what the elevation was?
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 21st March - the land of some fathers (do 'ave 'em) Empty Re: Saturday 21st March - the land of some fathers (do 'ave 'em)

Post  anti-climb max Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:07 am

100 ft on my strava, 100,000 ft on Chris's.

Post  Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:47 pm

I should have known better than to ask you a sensible question. Rolling Eyes

Lesson learned Very Happy
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:56 pm

I had to lookup what a "nelson" was but it was worth it Laughing

Previous Chepstow route and stats - http://ridewithgps.com/trips/3493779

Post  Guest Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:42 pm

cheers Martin, i knew someone sensible would come along.

see you next week Smile
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:03 pm

to most welshies, elevation to chepstow from 'gerland must be pretty high (especially on 6 six nations day.)
    BaronBanana

Post  BaronBanana Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:28 am

Thanks for the tow to chepstow:)

Mechanical just before the bridge on the way home?

http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer/#271722223,fQoxEEcsMRAngDEQMBoyEDI4MhBMYjIQDHYyEFGZMhA=
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:49 am

i thought you were getting a lift home (just after we broke the waters between england and wales as i recall.)
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:53 am

Steve, thanks for the Stava Activity Playback. Yes Ivan had a puncture just before crossing the bridge.

A nice sunny warm morning greeted about 20 of us. This now seems to be the average number of people willing to listen to Ivan's jokes :-).
    There were many summer bikes and new steeds on display. We set off up the A370 to Clevedon, Yatton and Nailsea. There was a minor mechanical for Pete near Wraxhall but we all managed to get up Belmont hill in dribs and drabs. The usual charge across the top near Ashton Court to the suspension bridge which was closed and we had to walk across :-(. Then over the downs and and a drop off at the community cafe at Stoke Bishop for most people, leaving just 7 of us to continue on past Blaize Castle instead of annoying the walkers through the grounds. Then down to halem and out on to the Severn road where we faced a stiff head wind and Ivan did a great job of toeing us along. We crossed the bridge (no bollard incident) into the land of our fathers (well grandfather in my case). We left Scott at the roundabout before chepstow for his wife to collect him as he had family duties to perform. We arrived at Chepstow and luckily the cafe wasn't too busy with locals watching their beloved rugby team. We left the cafe and after a slog out of the town we enjoyed a very fast and fun decent through Bulwark where we swooped through some roundabouts and Ivan managed to overtake a couple of cars! Just before crossing back over the bridge Ivans tyre got a cut puncture. His trusted piece of old tyre coming in handy once again. Once back in England we were treated, with the wind behind we ambled along at 25mph back to Avonmouth. After Portishead the pace went up and the usual sprints ensued with Ivan and Chris duking it out. Then again across Kenn Moor and if that wasn't enough a final charge down the A370.
    A great day out!
    We have now ordered the jerseys and will let you know when the arrive and the final price.

The video hightlights are a little bit longer this week but includes some great chase scenes (they might not be in full hd yet until Youtube has finished converting the video):-

Stats:- http://ridewithgps.com/trips/4258208
    TTC - 4/5
    KF - 3.8/5

Last edited by Martin on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    donkypace

Post  donkypace Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:38 am

Looks like you had a good ride,nice weather. Great footage of Ivan sucking on your Michelin.

How did you all like Chris's new S3 (proper bike that is).
    I had and still have a cold so didn't come out as I can only produce 600 watts cruising speed. Didn't want to slow you'll down.
    cornishchris

Post  cornishchris Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:34 pm

its horrible....noisy, uncomfortable...slow...thinking of taking it back.
    donkypace

Post  donkypace Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:41 pm

Lol
    cornishchris

Post  cornishchris Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:01 pm

loving the front camera stuff of you nutters leaving chepstow!....well done
    Keep up lad!
    Keep up lad!

Post  Keep up lad! Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:52 pm

Great vids Martin, especially the front facing shots.  Sorry I missed it all.  

Been laid low with a stomach bug.  On the plus side...I'm 2kg lighter! Oops! Sorry for the MKS error. I meant 4.409244952 lbs lighter

Last edited by Keep up lad! on Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Post  showmethecakes Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:18 pm

Bloody maniacs! I might join in next week.
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:50 pm

oi burns.... LOL ????????????? what the bloody hell does that mean?

sounds like teenage text speak 2 me. (wtf)

......i bet he judges distances in km and knows his weight in grams.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:15 am