Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

4 posters

Saturday 16th April - Cheeky Chepstow

Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 16th April - Cheeky Chepstow Empty Saturday 16th April - Cheeky Chepstow

Post  Martin Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:27 am

While Ivan is away we'll do one of his favorites :-)

The forcast is for overnight rain and then dry for Saturday with a northly  wind.

Destination is going to be Chepstow. So route will be the usual - Congresbury, Nailsea, Clifton, NOT through Blaise Castle, Hallen, Pilning, Chepstow. Return via Severn Beach and Portishead. Should be <=80 miles.

This gives some options for the 'gotta get back' people - Combe Dingle bogs, Kings Weston house and a new one - Dinky Deli at Easter Compton which is between Hallen and Pilning.

See you all at 8:45 at Priory school

Last edited by Martin on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 16th April - Cheeky Chepstow Empty Re: Saturday 16th April - Cheeky Chepstow

Post  anti-climb max Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:05 pm

Dear Martin,

I here that there are some new bikes knocking about. I'd like these to be properly initiated I Chepstow. I shall be disappointed if I discover that the owners have got off Scot free in my absence. I know that you have taken the deputy role seriously so I'm sure you won’t let the side down.

PS you might be advised to enlist the help of the Dandy Highwayman or Wayne as I'm not sure your 5'8" frame will be of much use.

PPS apologies for any typos, my phone has a mind of its own when it comes to predictive text.

PPPS tell burnsey he's a banker.
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 16th April - Cheeky Chepstow Empty Re: Saturday 16th April - Cheeky Chepstow

Post  Martin Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:45 pm

Its nice to see you are keeping an eye on things.
    Hopefully all we be happiness and calm on Saturday.
    There'll be no jokery in my province.

Laser light

Post  Laser light Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:26 pm

Just been told that the bridge is shut this weekend so checked the website - The bridge will be closed from 07:00 on Saturday 16th April 2016 until 22:00 on Sunday 17th April 2016.

New destination needed?
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:41 pm

Well spotted!

I just checked the Severn bridge website and indeed the bridge is closed to all road traffic.

I phoned their General Enquires number and a nice lady told me that one of the cycle lanes will be kept open it will be sign posted with one is open/closed.

Hopefully they won't stop are raiding party into the welsh Wales!

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:40 pm

Normal service will be resumed shortly.

You lot had better make the most of it tomorrow, see you at the Windsor if you're there. Otherwise I'll be riding on Sunday (I think I might possibly join the wheelers, shall we put that to a vote?) get in touch if you fancy a spin on Sunday morning.
    Laser light

Post  Laser light Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:47 pm

Well done Martin. I'll dig out my hard hat, riggers and high visibility tabard then
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 16th April - Cheeky Chepstow Empty Short Report

Post  showmethecakes Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:46 am

Generally black although other colours available but bright colours normally frowned upon. Avoid silver or gold sequins at all costs as these clash badly with the club jersey. I cannot recall seeing any today so the short report is short.

On to the ride.

There are 'rules' of cycling and anyone who flaunts theses is a fool unto themselves. Rule #1: All breakaways are futile. No-one remembers a solo victory as we all look forward to the carnage of a bunch sprint. There is no-one to celebrate with as your team mates are about 10 minutes behind you. And there is no point in getting in a break unless you can stick it out till the end. Reminder to self: Never get in a break with Welsh Paul. Reasons - I can't keep up and even if I did, who would give a toss anyway - he's still a better rider than me.

Anyhow, good little jaunt up to Bristol. Passed many other groups going the other way including, and wait for it chaps, an all female group with one hell of a lucky fella riding behind, presumably to keep an eye on things. The only significant group heading our way was along Beggar Bush Lane and despite the prospect of a competitive ride to the Leigh Woods lights we passed them with ease. Not so easy to pass was the wide load at the end which, and I know how much men folk like to exaggerate, was an extremely large load. So much so that it could not get around the lights without taking up every available inch of road space. Despite being about 100 metres behind in the sprint, I think you will find I was actually second through the lights so points to me please.

In Clifton, Bob Dylan decided to go on the road again. I was waiting to find out venues and ticket prices but then realised Rob was actually on the road. Think his front wheel had an argument with a damp yellow line and some gravel. Hopefully he is okay.

We then reached the turning of destiny where the final selection was made for Chepstow.

A small group of 7 stopped at Kings Weston House which caused me some hilarity on Strava. There is a segment down the hill from top to bottom. We always stop half way down at the cafe. However, I managed a personal best yesterday for that segment. Time was 49 minutes with an average speed of 1 kph. Proud of that one.

Pace back was not necessarily slow but nice and steady with just the one stop for a flash and slash in the woods. All returned home safely as far as I know.

Stats: OJC 1, KFC 6/10, TTCR 8/10.
    60 miles of Brizzleland in our legs by the time we returned.
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:41 am

Entertaining report as usual Rich.

Nothing much to report from the Chepstow group. We joined the dual carridgeway at Pilning and headed north in to a head wind which really split the group up.
    Crossing the old severn bridge was almost a joy as there were no cars on the motorway and we could enjoy the view.
    At the cafe we took advantage of the english breakfast and coffee for £5.50 - bargin!
    No ones bike was hidden this time.
    The ride down through Avonmouth was very nice with the tail wind.
    I think it was around Portishead that we last saw Paul, Andy and Tony as they left us for dead.

TTC - 4.99/5
    OJ - 2?
    KF - 4.6/5
    Stats - https://ridewithgps.com/trips/8544517

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 am