Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

4 posters

Saturday 12th March - Horton Cross

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 12th March - Horton Cross Empty Saturday 12th March - Horton Cross

Post  anti-climb max Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:56 am

This week we head south to the idyllic hamlet of Horton Cross to sample some rural delights (Little Chef on the A303.)

Route out will be Sea Front, Anchor, Brent Knoll should you wish to latch on.

Tri-Stop can be North Curry and gottagetback can be the viceroy in whitecross VILLAGE
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 12th March - Horton Cross Empty Re: Saturday 12th March - Horton Cross

Post  showmethecakes Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:08 pm

Could be a problem with that. I don't think its called the Viceroy any more. Try Joy Print Products instead - the one that used to be a sex shop. Not that I ever went in there of course.
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:01 pm

apologies to DOL and the rest of the VILLAGE people
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Post  showmethecakes Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:12 am

Young man, there's no need to feel down
    I said the Viceroy, is no longer in town
    I said young man, if you gotta get home
    You can go to Joy Print Shop

Why ride a bike?
    Why ride a bike?
    We go down crappy lanes and get shit on our frames
    And talk bollocks all the way hey
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:10 pm

You have the Deputy ride reporter this week
    Fantastic weather met the twenty odd riders. It seems that these days twenty riders is not a big turn out such is the growth of the club. Judging by the lack of winter bikes it must now officially be summer.
    We set off "Southbound again I don't know if I'm going or leaving home" down the Toll road and on to the sea front where a new rider joined us. He said his name was Nick but i'm sure he was Geraint Thomas as he was riding so strongly. On to Brent and Woolavginton where the first group split off and headed to the delights of Truckers. I'm not sure why we don't go there much these days. Next is everyones favorite - the Somerset Strade Bianche where those riding their winter bikes were having the last laugh when we met a particularly flooded section where one rider hoisted his bike on his sholders and did a good cyclocross impression. At Burrow Bridge it was a right turn to North Curry where the second group stopped at the community cafe. Once the food orders were taken we sat outside in the sun and waited and waited. Almost everybody got what they ordered which is always a bonus although the order for curried parsnip soup magically transformed into spicy tomatoe. Apparently they dont like it if you lean your bikes against the window :-). Not sure how the other group got on at the Little Chef.
    The return leg was eventful with 2 punctures and one mechanical. First Tony punctured at Burrow Bridge where he used his high tech Stans slime and gas inflation. We must have done at least 2 miles when Stuart got a pinch flat. The tyre was a little difficult to get back on but its amazing what 3 over 60's can do if they put their minds to it :-). Tony took the time to replace his previously punctured tube. We then covered about 5 miles to Chedzoy when Mike had a problem with his chain jamming. On closer inspection one of the rear deraileur jockey wheel metal guards had snapped. This took a fair amount of fiddling to rig up something that he could ride. It lasted as far as the path to Bawdrip where further attention was required. Tony and a couple of others had to get back so departed. Thankfully the rest of the journey there were no further problems. As Stuart and I were making our way towards the old pier we spied Burnie getting some secret training in. Hopefully we will see him out soon.

TTC - 4/5
    OJC - 1?
    KF - 4/5
    Stats - https://ridewithgps.com/trips/8122983
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:19 pm

Horton turned out to be 86.

this week's discussion centred on our boxing weights where it was decided that i'd have to fight pete telford at heavyweight and martin wouldn't cut it at as a light flyweight. all this was kicked off when nick claimed to weigh 82kg (whatever the hell that is.)

usual shenanigan's on the way back from bridgwater, needless to say i got dropped again; cruiserweight is my target by the summer.

Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:35 pm

According to the WBA and WBC I'm in the 'Super lightweight' class which is up to 10st so i'm hoping that makes me undisputed champion in that class.

Sounds like your discussion was a bit more high brow than ours which some how got on to 'dogging'!
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 12th March - Horton Cross Empty Toilet Twinning - The big one!

Post  Martin Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:58 pm

Yes you heard right - toilet twinning. Its the same as town twinning but better.

One very interesting thing i forgot to mention in my report was 'Toilet Twinning'. Whilst I was using the facilities at the North Curry Community cafe I noticed a sign with a picture of a toilet in Cambodia which apparrently was twinned with the one i was using! Check out the link for what its all about:-
    http://www.toilettwinning.org/what-is-toilet-twinning/.
    It looks like people/cafes donate to upgrade toilets in third world countries. On their website there is a young girl from saying "The old toilets were really smelly and made me retch".

Obviously we have to suggest Sweets toilets as a candidate for twinning.
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:02 pm

Perhaps a Cambodian town would be kind enough to pay for an upgrade of sweet's loos.
    Pirate
    Pirate

Post  Pirate Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:31 pm

Enough of this dogging talk . . .

So, on the day I returned I was hoping for a nice easy ride to Glastonbury or somewhere, so it was Horton Cross then and a nice easy 90 miler!

. . . . . don’t blame me, I just can’t bring myself to do the short option.

Well, it’s fair to say that my entrance was much better than my exit. The reception I got from you guys on the seafront was very nice, but varied - with a mixture of hello’s and fuck offs. Tracy wanted to know who said hello.

Thanks to Ivan who pulled me out of the gutter and dragged me home. I wouldn’t worry too much about your boxing weight class Ive’. All I know is that you’ll never be a lightweight, metaphorically speaking.

Marvellous!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:41 am