Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

5 posters

Phil Hemmings

Pirate
    Pirate

Phil Hemmings Empty Phil Hemmings

Post  Pirate Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Saturday morning's for me are a highlight of the week and this weekend we spent some quality time at Bruton. Our company was shared with Phil Hemmings, laughing and joking and attacking hills as usual. Who would know it would be the last time we see him.

Ivan informed me today that Phil unfortunately died this morning of a heart attack.

Thanks for your company Phil, we will miss you.

Nick
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Phil Hemmings Empty Phil

Post  anti-climb max Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:22 pm

As we rode across the moor towards Glastonbury from Baltonsborough last Saturday there was a slight split in the bunch. I chose to wait back for Phil, Dave (B) and Stewart to bring them up to the lead group who were 250 yards ahead. With 50 yards before the catch I looked back and only had Phil on my wheel with the others 15 yards behind. I decided to wait again for the others to rejoin before resuming our chase of the lead group; this clearly wasn't good enough for Phil, he rose from the saddle, came past me and fought his way across to the leaders on his own.

A competitive cyclist forever Phil, 'Chapeau, tete la course!'

Sorry about the mile of rough road we used after Godney Phil, but I'm glad that the rest of your final ride was on fast roads, in hot conditions with feisty company, I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Double espresso's all 'round!
    andys
    andys

Phil Hemmings Empty Phil

Post  andys Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:02 pm

Just want to say goodbye Phil, you were a good friend to Marce and myself on and off the bike,
    I remember my first club run with you at Weston ac, in the 1980,s and my first 10 mile road race, with your encouragement pushing me on I
    ran 64.12, and Lands end to John o Groats, and cycling in the Costa Blanca, so many fond memories ,
    Thanks for being a good friend to Marcella and me,
    God bless, Andy and Marcella .
    stubble07
    stubble07

Phil Hemmings Empty Re: Phil Hemmings

Post  stubble07 Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:45 pm

Very sad news. My thoughts are with all his family.
    I been riding for 3 yrs now. Phil was one of the first cyclist  I met along with Gordon, Stew and Bern when I first join the Chain Gang.
    He always had something to say about how to ride, climb and descend when I was learning .I marvelled at the way he seem to just glide along the road, with out any effort.
    Thank you for all your encouragements and praises friend.
    you were a wonderful man on and off the bike. I will never forget you Phil..
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Post  showmethecakes Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:14 pm

Sad news and a great loss. I remember being introduced to Phil on my first 'Chain Gang' ride in April 2010. Having been introduced to so many people all at once meant I immediately forgot almost everyone's name - including Phil. For many months I would refer to him as Noddy - Noddy Holder being the only person that came to mind when Phil spoke.

Phil has amazed me with his strength and endurance. As the Saturday distance has gone north of 80 miles and the weather has got better, Phil has been a regular reminder of what it is possible to achieve while keeping a smile on your face.

As Ivan says - Chapeau old friend and hope you took some energy gels with you for the journey.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:40 am