Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

2 posters

Saturday 15th June - Cannington

Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 15th June - Cannington Empty Saturday 15th June - Cannington

Post  Martin Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Some riders turned up (and some did'nt - Richard, Neil noted absenses) for the expected 100 miler but after considering the weather conditions we thought better of it and decided on Cannington.
    We set off into the south westerly wind and we were soon on the A38 heading for Bridgwater. With a strong head wind the pace was slower than usual. On reaching Spaxton Steve managed to be the second person to break a spoke following Merion who did'nt make it out of Weston. Everyone choose the longer option to the cafe via the A39. With a tail wind we were doing 30 - 35mph and the usual sprint kicked off before the Cannington round about. Not sure who got that one.
    We took a new route back to Bridgwater via Chilton Trinity which was a quiet change from the usual Wembdon route. It was then on to Woolavington via the old railway line from Bawdrip which was fortunate as the weather changed and there was a heavy downpour and we were able to take shelter under the trees.
    The usual sprint kicked off on the way to Bason Bridge and Watchfield. I tried an early sprint but felt my gears slip which turned out to be Adrian clipping my back wheel in his attempt to out sprint everyone. Ivan won the sprint as everyone else had to slow due to the near collision. We had several heavy showers on the way back but finished in bright sunshine.
    Well done to Mars as she was on top cycling form and should take the KOM when they are in France in a couple of weeks.

Jersey count = 4
    Toasted tea cake rating = 9 (nice carrot cake)
    Knacker factor = 8

Stats:- http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1410074
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 15th June - Cannington Empty Re: Saturday 15th June - Cannington

Post  showmethecakes Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:20 pm

If it had been the Shafetsbury 100 I would have turned out. In view of the weather I thought it unlikely so stayed at home instead! As it turned out the weather was not too bad apart from the strong winds and heavy showers (ha, ha!).

I thought you'd have known who won the sprint at Cannington. At that speed, Martin, you should have had time to get in front and draw the finish line across the road! Glad to see Ivan still ignoring all possible dangers to win the sprint at Watchfield. Think I'd better get out in the week having missed a ride!

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am