Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

4 posters

Saturday 15th April - The lido shuffle to Portishead

Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 15th April - The lido shuffle to Portishead Empty Saturday 15th April - The lido shuffle to Portishead

Post  Martin Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Let's do the lido shuffle to Cafe Lido at Portishead. Weather forcast is overcast with north easterly winds.

Route out will be - Puxton, Sandford, Winscombe hill, Axbridge, Shipham hill, Longbottom, Charterhouse, West Harptree, Chew Stoke, Winford,
    The return leg is - Walton-in-Gordano, Clevedon, Yatton, Congesbury, Sandford, Puxton, home.

Just for '9 pints' aka Phil - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20258767

Tri option can be Chew Magna lake.

Only 65 miles but with a couple of hills.
    stubble07
    stubble07

Saturday 15th April - The lido shuffle to Portishead Empty Re: Saturday 15th April - The lido shuffle to Portishead

Post  stubble07 Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Can we have 08:15 am start times now please Summer time now. Many thanks Martin
    Laser light

Saturday 15th April - The lido shuffle to Portishead Empty Re: Saturday 15th April - The lido shuffle to Portishead

Post  Laser light Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Well done Martin . Great route. Hard but fair.
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 15th April - The lido shuffle to Portishead Empty Ride Report

Post  showmethecakes Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:16 pm

A last minute puncture shortly before departure produced a few PB's down the Locking Road for me and Lofty. A steady trundle along to Winscombe where the first splits started to appear as the bunch made their way up Winscombe Hill. After regrouping on the A38 Neil set the pace on the Axbridge bypass. Either it didn't seem that quick or I was just enjoying the slipstream. Whatever it was I wasn't going to bust a gut on the sprint with the prospect of Shipham Hill ahead. However there was no stopping Andy C and Lofty from slugging it out over the last 100 metres or so. Unfortunately Ivan wasn't around to say where the finish line was. If he had been there to contest the sprint no doubt the finish line would have been the one he just crossed in first place, even if that was 200 meters from the end of the road.

As the bunch swept round the corner and started the ascent of Shipham we ignored Andy and Lofty who were flopped over their top tubes like a couple of panting dogs. Both recovered to make it up the hill to the top of the Mendips where the bunch regrouped again. After a brief run across the top we faced the drop down to West Harptree. Having endured riding up it several times I was looking forwards to the descent but when I arrived safely at the bottom I was not sure if Somerset was suffering a minor earthquake or my brain was still bouncing around inside my skull from the dreadful road surface. Burns the Bread then cheerily announced how many riders had died on that descent! Now I'm thinking I'm glad to still be alive.

Across to Chew Stoke Lofty, Underpants and Rob did turns on the front and kept the pace nice and high. When it came to my turn I was happy to oblige but forgot about the slight climb up Stoke Hill. Luckily I pulled off before we hit the bottom expecting to slot in at the back and recover before the hill. What I did not expect was that virtually the whole group had stayed together and I was stuck out in the middle of the road waiting an age before I could slot back in. By the time this had happened the front of the group had hit the hill and the bunch exploded all over the road. Ho hum.

After Winford we crossed the A38 and pulled over for a comfort break. Nine Pints lost one of his beers when he stepped in front of a cyclist coming the other way. After a short pause we resumed the ride down a crumbly footpath dodging the dog walkers. Summer bike was not happy. I had to stroke the wheels to comfort it at the bottom.

After passing under the A370 we proceeded at pace to Belmont. Lofty and Andy took the honours at the top with Pants in third. Tracy had already decided to head to Clevedon and it soon became apparent that Wayne, Susie and a few others had also taken this option when they failed to show up at the top of the hill.

Ade led the bunch down 2 mile hill and we headed in to Portishead. Despite the clue in the title, I thought I knew the way to the cafe and led the lead group to Lakeside. Burns had cut across the grass to get in the cafe first but qucker than you can say "I'll have a Cappuccino" we realised we were in the wrong place. Burns left a pile of ground up coffee beans behind and we set of for the Lido. Unfortunately we were now at the back of a queue of pesky cyclists who had gone the right way. Jeannie resisted the temptation to go for a swim and after refreshments we set off for home.

Cycling Rule #146: All cafes should be placed at the top of hills to avoid the need to ride up a steep hill on a full belly!

Having kept all beans, toast, cake and coffee in its rightful place we headed off along the coast road to Clevedon. The westerly wind was picking up a bit but it didn't deter the bunch from setting a good pace into Clevedon and across Kenn Moor. I had promised myself not to take part in the Yatton sprint but couldn't help myself. Andy C came round me at the end but in a replay of the dash into Cheddar the bunch just rode past us as we expired on the pavement.

In Congresbury we said farewell to Burns and powered down the A370 into a blustery wind. At Bourton Lane we regrouped for the final time and headed into Weston. The run down Milton Road was like a wind tunnel with the westerly wind being channelled between the buildings. Last thing you need at the end of a ride!

Great day out. Disappointing that Martin missed a couple of opporunities to get some extra hills in!

OJC: 2?, TTCR: 7/10, Pint Count: 8, Mileage about 65, Altitude gain anything between 830 metres and 3800 metres according to Strava.
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:29 pm

Cycling rule #146 is followed by #147 which says no decending a hill after a cafe stop on a cold day.

Nice to see the addition of the 'Pint Count' in the stats.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:39 pm