Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

3 posters

Saturday 8th April - South to Somerton

Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 8th April - South to Somerton Empty Saturday 8th April - South to Somerton

Post  Martin Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:44 pm

Ivan is taking a break with his family in Cornwall so I hope you are all feeling full of beans this week as we are going to venture further afield to the Full of Beans cafe at Somerton.
    There will be -1 (High Ham) and +2 (Burrington, Bleadon) hills for your enjoyment.
    Tri option is Truckers.
    The weather forecast is good - mild with a moderate southerly breeze so lets make the most of it.
    Route will be - Puxton, Burrington, down Cheddar, Wedmore, Shapwick, Pedwell, round the bottom of High Ham, Somerton. Return will be Butleigh, Glastonbury, Godney, Mudgley, Blackford, Webbington, Bleadon hill, Seafront.
    Calculated distance 79 miles
    Laser light

Saturday 8th April - South to Somerton Empty Re: Saturday 8th April - South to Somerton

Post  Laser light Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:45 am

Can you be a bit more precise about the route please. There's a couple of hundred yards where i'm not sure which way we're going.
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 8th April - South to Somerton Empty Re: Saturday 8th April - South to Somerton

Post  Martin Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:25 am

ok, your wish is my command - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20078470
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 8th April - South to Somerton Empty Ride Report

Post  showmethecakes Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:02 pm

There were a few absentees this week such as Neil, Ivan etc. I'm thinking of a £60 fine for bunking off during term time unless you bring a note from your mum. Presentation of a fake note will result in 10 miles on the front into the wind for each offence.

The forecast was actually correct for once with a beautiful sunny day ahead of us. Fifteen or so set off from Priory and without mishap or misdemeanour we arrived safely at Sandford and picked up Andy, Burns and Nick. Onwards and upwards as the bunch tackled Burrington before heading over the top to the Gorge. I didn't fancy a rant down the gorge so backed off at the top. Just as well as a couple of goats strayed on to the road and couldn't decide whether to cross or go back. In typical goat style they just stopped in the middle. In typical human style I couldn't decide whether they were going to cross or go back so I just stopped in the middle of the road as well.

After re-grouping at the bottom to exchange goat stories the bunch moved steadily onwards to Wedmore passing Welshy, Cornish and Baron Banana in the town of Cheddar. I say pass that is to say we didn't overtake them, they were going to other way.

Jeannie got all unnecessary at the top of Mudgley as something was going on between her legs that she couldn't quite comprehend. She then had a problem with her seat post followed by a flat. Another regroup at Westhay brought the bunch together once more before Shappers hill.

Andy, Lord Kitchener of the group, tried to conscript riders into going over High Ham rather than round it. In times of war deserters would have been shot but as only Andy and myself went over the top it was going to be difficult to argue against the majority. However, to make a point, we saluted each other, said tally-ho, and dashed across to Somerton to get to the cafe first.

Captain Underpants had forgotten to phone the cafe the night before and the staff apologised in advance for the slow service. Andy had ordered toast which they had clearly run out of as all that was left was beans on toast. It was clear to everyone that Ivan wasn't out as Martin tried to find every hill in Somerset to ride over. At Butleigh Martin took second place at Do or Die Corner before the usual rant to Glastonbury. Nine pints Phil took in the unique ambience of this quirky Somerset town before the group moved on through Godney towards Mudgely. Andy took on Daggs Lane all by himself while the rest slogged it up Mudgely. Another moment of madness bagged Burns a KOM at Weare followed by the inevitable split at Loxton.

A handful of riders headed for Bleadon but only Nine Pints, Pants and me went up and over Bleadon Hill, the others sneaking around the bottom and slinking off home.

Great day out. 80 ish miles on the clock and some strong riding from various members of the group.
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks Rich, great report as usual.
    Weather couldn't have been better.
    I think the service at the cafe can best be described as 'family' with not much help from the sons or grandma. Still the owner seems to be coping a bit better yesterday with smart remarks like 'do you want to wear those beans on toast'.

Average speed - 17mph
    Distance - 81.9 (2 over predicted total!)
    TTC - 4.1/5
    KF - 4/5
    OJC - 4?

Post your route suggestions for next week or it will be another hilly one!!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm