Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

3 posters

Saturday 18th March - golden showers

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 18th March - golden showers  Empty Saturday 18th March - golden showers

Post  anti-climb max Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:30 pm

BBC don't have a clue this week, website keeps suggesting rain until 9 with a dry Sunday whilst Tomas Shafanakerknackerdingdong has just told me the opposite. Perhaps Michael Fish's gremlins have had their wicked way again, not that cyclists getting wet when they didn't pack a waterproof is quite as newsworthy as folks having their rooves blown off unexpectedly.

Anyway, we'll head south and take the wet weather route if required.

Usual usuals, toll road, sea front, Anchor on the way out, then it'll be down to who's right between the website and Mr Nackerknacker.
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 18th March - golden showers  Empty Re: Saturday 18th March - golden showers

Post  showmethecakes Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:07 pm

Do not fear forum friends. Ride Report on its way. Forgot to do it yesterday.
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 18th March - golden showers  Empty Ride Report

Post  showmethecakes Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:35 pm

As far as I am concerned the silliness began on Friday evening. Might be something to do with the season. After an enforced cycle to work I rode home on a semi-flat rear end as I couldn't be bothered to fix it at work. As I entered Weston I remembered a strava segment that I had been eyeing up for a while that would favour a westerly breeze. In the dark and wet with heavy bag on back I headed for the starting point. Being dark I was relying on car headlights to decide whether or not it was safe to blast out across a t- junction. At the last minute I had to abort as a car suddenly appeared. Undeterred I looped round and tried again. Same result. At the third attempt I got most of the way down before coming up behind a bus. Slightly frustrated I went home to find I had a KOM. Hurrah!

The reason for the pre-amble is it set the mood for the Saturday ride. When we got past Mark (whoever he is) the pace quickened across the levels towards Westhay. Now I'm not normally one for getting agitated but 23 mph felt a little slow. When the speed dropped even more I couldn't resist the temptation to get back on the front and crank it up a notch. Thankfully most others slotted in behind and took turns on the front. Now, as I said, I'm not normally one for getting agitated but 26 mph felt a little slow. So I went back on the front and cranked it up a little more hitting the end of the road at about 31 mph.

After a minor re-group we set off towards Glastonbury. Like a dog with a bone the pace was cranked up again and we shifted along at about 25's. At Godney the wind had changed direction and it started to rain. Now I might do some stupid things but I know when its time to hide behind Wayne into a headwind.

At Doublegates the staff were most welcoming. Phil is now to be known as Sharon. No need to ask, its a personal choice that we must all respect. Martin, on the other hand, is apparently the best bike rider in the world. It was so convincing I think Burns the Bread twitched a single eyebrow hair before returning to his conversation. Martin tried to show how good he as we departed. While sitting astride his bike waiting for a couple of stragglers he toppled over (well almost). Not that anyone noticed - honest.

Not sure what happened on the return. Paul S seemed to drop off the back a bit with a Pete and Wayne. Tracy kindly hung back a bit but despite the main group waiting a couple of times they were never seen again. It's either that or that bloody great motorbike that pulled us along. Who was that man of mystery in the orange and black leathers? The chocolate orange on a motorbike. Is his name really Terry? Of course not. You all know who it was. Now I'm not saying anything but there were some impressive speeds set at certain points on the return journey.

After the split at Loxton, Lofty did a good job on the front into the wind back to Weston. As we turned off the seafront I had a bit of deja-vu. There a segment round here somewhere that I've been eyeing up for a while. Probably best attempted with a nice westerly breeze. However, knowing the dangers of the dreaded t-junction I rode ahead to make sure the way was clear for Lofty to take his first KOM, fortunately with an identical time to me. Hurrah!

Very enjoyable jaunt.

OJC: 2 methinks, TTCR: 8/10, KFC: 6/10.
    donkypace

Saturday 18th March - golden showers  Empty Re: Saturday 18th March - golden showers

Post  donkypace Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:38 pm

I think my ride highlight was when Richard did a warning point out at the pigeon sat at the side of a pothole in Mere.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 pm