Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

+2
Martin
anti-climb max
6 posters

Saturday 4th July - Lymey O'Reilly

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 4th July - Lymey O'Reilly Empty Saturday 4th July - Lymey O'Reilly

Post  anti-climb max Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:18 pm

currently; rain is forecast for friday pm, clearing early hours of saturday followed by an overcast day, 22 degrees with an 11mph SW wind.

if this remains the forecast we're all systems go for our annual jaunt to the seaside.

we'll take a pretty direct route out... summerhouse, wolvershill, banwell, winscombe, cheddar should you wish to latch on.

tri-options will be truckers or langport.

PS: if forecast changes for the worse, keep an eye on forum thurs/fri and i'll post a revised destination.
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 4th July - Lymey O'Reilly Empty Re: Saturday 4th July - Lymey O'Reilly

Post  Martin Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:09 am

Blimey Lymey!!!

Ok, packing the suncream now.
    Rich, shall I pre order your burger now?

Post  Guest Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:33 pm

5 stops and an overnight in a B&B? Laughing
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:43 pm

No. Motorbikes
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Post  showmethecakes Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:06 pm

I've booked myself in for the three course meal this year.
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 4th July - Lymey O'Reilly Empty Ride Report

Post  showmethecakes Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:00 pm

With about 25 riders of mixed age and ability the pace was kept nice and steady for the first part of the ride. All pretty much still together at West Hay and across to Shapwick where we all arrived safely at the top of Pedwell. Martin tried to tempt others into a race to the top of High Ham but with a lot of miles ahead no-one took the bate. Not sure what the outcome was at the top, I was too far behind enjoying a pleasantly slow ascent.

As Ivan crested the summit Burns decided the Lymers should get a move on and not wait any longer for the stragglers. Most of us heard the call but Neil and Martin were too busy sunning themselves. The Pirate took us from behind (lock up your daughters) and came across our bows before we could say 'shiver me timbers'. The white flag was already raised as Nick and Scott raced away into the distance. At the T junction there was a re-grouping to allow Neil and Martin to latch on. As we collected our thoughts no-one was more surprised than Bernie when he realised he had inadvertently joined the Lyme group. Bernie stood down and waited for his chums while we pushed on into Langport.

Muchelney saw a great display not unlike the red arrows. Burns took the left, I took the right and the rest headed straight on. The only thing missing was the coloured smoke as red 2 and 3 looped round to rejoin red 1. It was getting hot by the time we hit the A30 so we were all grateful for the 6 minute wait for Ivan at the top of the hill. Now there is a time and place for seeing a beautiful body dripping in salty liquid but this was not the time or the place and, let's be honest, this was Ivan. (Sorry readers - bit crude that one).

Ivan was clearly not well. We've known this for a while and it has never really bothered us. Then we realised it wasn't just his head that had gone - his legs were still in Langport. We collectively decided to abort the Lyme ride and head for Crewkerne for tea and buns.

Nice hot stop in the sun while Tony gave his Zipp wheels an oil bath. Headed off up the main road towards Martock where various riders took it in turn to coax Ivan along. Eventually a gap opened up on the way in to Somerton and the inevitable split occurred. The first group went right towards Glastonbury while Ivan decided his best option would be to turn left and skirt around the bottom of High Ham. Being a protected rider myself and Martin took up the challenge of getting Ivan home which was proving hard work into the wind. Martin did a great job up the A370 to Bleadon to keep us all rolling at a reasonable pace. I peeled off on the seafront and got home 3 hours earlier than planned. That's got to be a lot of brownie points in the bank for another day! Hope you got home okay Ivan. Don't know why I said that - I know you got home okay because it says so on Strava!

Anyhow, no mishaps (probably on holiday with Miss Fortune and Miss Judgement). Tired legs today but a good work out.

Last edited by showmethecakes on Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:03 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Can't spell! Still can't spell.)
    stubble07
    stubble07

Post  stubble07 Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:23 pm

The Rest of the story goes like this:

The rest of us got to Somerton Square. The Locals desided to hold any outsiders who happen to stray into their medievil Village Fete with Music and cake. We were trapped unable to retreat or move of fear of being seen. To late a voice from their old DJ spotted us, like a Sirens he/she called us in. Luckily the Burns of Banwell wasn't having any of this saying "F@@k this, Ivan and Co can make it on their own". Each to their own is his Moto. We blasted a way through the walkers with glances of disapproval I only just made it as one walker tried to blocked the road out. But there was a small gap on the pavement undefended which I manage to whip through. We headed out of Somerton leaving tyre rubber on the road with Vicky's angles delights on our minds where we hoped to recover and wait for Ivan and Co.

On the Hill out of Somerton My legs seem to remind me that my fiftieth was coming up soon and decided that it wanted golf lessons next week and not burning 5000 calories sat on a plastic bike each weekend. Thankful Good kind Scot lent me his youthful body to shield me from the wind all the way to Glastonbury. Where strawberry were kindly received from The Burns of Banwell. We made it to Sweets at a good pace with hopes of waiting for Ivan and Co with good cheer and merry drinks. Sadly they didn't appear, we had home and suntan location to rub on our red bits. so we set off.

The ride to Cheddar was decided, at a quick pace where Mudgley had my legs talking again along with Tony's Zipps. Axbridge Bypass saw Tony,Nick,Scot and Paul hide behind my wheel for some reason. Any hills I was on my own, weird that!

Banwell was where the rest of my cycling buddies waited for me with good cheer.  cheers  Paul wasn't there.

We said farewell to Nick  pirat  Really good to see that he's got his sea legs again I mean cycling legs.

The rest of the journey was nice and easy back to WSM

Legs got home with out to much cramping. 4 bottles of drink, a can of coke, one coffee, two cups of tea. pissing yellow razor blades (still need to drink more) Cramping all night. Sad

Anyone for golf Rolling Eyes
    donkypace

Post  donkypace Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:03 pm

Sorry Neil, I couldn't wait at the castle in Banwell as I was supposed to be leaving my house at 5pm to go to a family doo. I did tell the others to pass on my goodbyes but that message didn't arrive. Also I thought that after waiting in Somerton for 10 minutes, Ivan and co obviously went a different way.
    Good ride even though we didn't get to Lyme, maybe try again in a couple of weeks time.

Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:16 am

Short video of the large turn out:-

Pirate
    Pirate

Post  Pirate Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:35 pm

Richard, Thank you for the mention. I do like to appear from over the horizon and take the enemy by surprise, although I'm not really into any back door action.

Martin, Always good to see ride footage!

Oh yeah . . . . .

Neil, uh . . . by the way, Paul says sorry but he can't wait cos he has to go to a family do . . . . . . . or something.

But he said he loves you lots and hopes that your 'galloping knob-rot' clears up in time for the next ride.

pirat
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:57 pm

I appreciate that these things are a matter of opinion but I think the on board footage of descents makes for a better spectator sport than the climbs.

If you can persuade your spouse to watch more than 15 seconds of the high ham climb you'll have done well.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am