Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

Winter Wheels

showmethecakes

Winter Wheels

Post  showmethecakes on Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:50 pm

Any suggestions for a good value set of hard wearing winter wheels? Wouldn't want to spend more than about £200 - £250. My old wheels have just about had it. Judging by the wear indicators there can't be more than a wafer of metal left!

Post  Guest on Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:06 pm

Pirate

Re: Winter Wheels

Post  Pirate on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:46 am

Hi Richard,

Jim is right about recommending Mavic. They are a very good brand that I have and still use.

Campag are also very good, so you could consider these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-scirocco-35-clincher-wheelset/

Slightly over your budget, but nice . . . . .

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-wheelset/

Campag's sister company Fulcrum also have a good range:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing-quattro-clincher-wheelset/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing-5-lg-alloy-clincher-wheelset/

Weights:
    Fulcrum Quattro: 1725g
    Fulcrum Racing 5: 1645g
    Campag Zonda: 1594g

Personally, I would recommend you spend as much as you can on wheels, especially light ones as they will make such a difference. In that case the Zonda's win. Have a word with Sue about the extra cash.

Hope this helps

pirat
    showmethecakes

Post  showmethecakes on Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:47 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I was looking at Mavic Aksium One's but they appear a little weighty at 1825g. Someone had Fulcrum 7's and repeatedly broke spokes so will probably avoid those. I will however take another look at Shimano RS31's and see how they compare to the Aksiums.

Was not going to go over the top on budget as the plan is to purchase a new summer bike, stick my carbon RS80's on that and whatever the new bike comes with relegate to a second set/spare set of winter wheels.
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:14 pm

i've got a pair of wheels from my wife's apollo mtb you can have. if you can see past the rust and the broken spoke and the feint wobble, they're yours. rims are perfect as they've only been used once down the strawberry line (though she did have the brakes on all the way to axbridge as i recall.) here's the spec:

rim material: iron

hubs: lead

spokes: pig metal 60 front/72 rear

weight: front 6kg/rear 9kg - total 1.2kg

joking aside, i've had most makes in my time and plenty of £200/£300 wheels. best value for money goes to fulcrum every time and at your weight spoke breakage shouldn't be a problem. if it was me i'd splash £100 on a pair of fulcrum 7's as i've had 7's and 5's and there wasn't a lot of difference; failing that campagnolo sciroccos are good if you can get them for less than £150.

i've even got a 4 week old pair of khamsin's you can have for £70 if you want to really save money, i bought them on a whim to see me through the rest of the winter, but can get by without them if need be. they ride the same as fulcrum 7's (they probably are the same!) i rode them to chepstow, to rocky mountain last week and a couple of other rides, so about 250 miles use.

Post  Guest on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:40 pm

Andy, I bought my Campag Zonda's from Wiggle, just before xmas. They were £254

Paul

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:56 pm