Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

4 posters

Usefull Strava Links

BaronBanana

Usefull Strava Links Empty Usefull Strava Links

Post  BaronBanana Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:02 pm

I am a massive Strava Geek and thought I would share some of the usefull tools and webistes I have found along the way! (Dont waste too much time playing with these like me)!!!

Strava Labs is where Strava engineering occasionally releases side projects independent of their product.
    Projects may be added, removed, or break at any time, so use them at your own risk.

Here is a few of the more interesting ones;

From Strava Blog: "Recently we released a global heatmap of 77,688,848 rides and 19,660,163 runs from the Strava dataset. This was more of an engineering challenge to create a visualization of that size than anything else. But still, the map has raised many questions about how and where people run and ride. Some of these can only be answered using the raw data, which is addressed by our Metro product."

Copy and paste you Strava Activity URL into this tool and it will show your route, who you rode with and who you met/passed on the way, so long as they too were on Strava.

Enter your Strava Athlete ID and see a map of all your KOM's.

Garmin picked up Random GPS points? Use this tool to fix it!

Some nice guy has created some really useful tool for all to use, including;

Provides the segment leaderboard with the weather at the time, usefull if you want to know if a tailwind helped them get the top spot!

A tool that used to be free but now requires a subscription. You can still sync your last 25 activities for free and it will give you a much mnore in depth view of your rides.

Copy and paste the KOM riders segment URL into this tool and it will give you a CRS file. Sync it to your Garmin GPS, load it as a course in the workouts menu and then hey presto you have a virtual partner for a segment where you want to race the KOM time! (It's real time as well, not an average so you can get a good comparison on the Garmin screen as you ride)!
    More info on how to do this here (along with other KOM tips) - http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/8-tips-for-getting-a-kom-on-strava/

Allows you to map multiple rides so that you can see where you have been (and others) over a set period. When I have time I might map together all the rides WCG did during 2014... should be an interesting image!

Let me know what you think and feel free to add to the list if you know anymore!!!
    Keep up lad!
    Keep up lad!

Usefull Strava Links Empty Re: Usefull Strava Links

Post  Keep up lad! Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:13 pm

Really interesting but....You should get out more! Crying or Very sad
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:20 pm

Can't wait to try some of those links.
    I think i know someone who is a Strava snipper :-)
    BaronBanana

Post  BaronBanana Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:09 pm

Keep up lad! wrote:You should get out more! Crying or Very sad

Haha... Something's got to keep me entertained on my lunch break! Very Happy
    BaronBanana

Post  BaronBanana Tue May 12, 2015 9:54 am

For those of you who get home and find your Garmin has corrupted all your ride data and are actually bothered by it, heres a couple of ways to fix it...

Both ways require you to open up the files on your Garmin through your PC, find the Activities folder and then find your rides .fit file. Copy and paste that to your PC.

Then go to this website and upload it at the top which should then auto fix your file and give it you to download. Then its just a case of manually uploading it to Garmin Connect or Strava.

http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl/

If that doesnt work then it would appear that there are some very nice people who will fix your file for you out of the kindness of their hearts (geeks)! Just upload the file to the Garmin forum in one of the many corrupt .fit file threads!

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?20-Cycling

I would highly recommend not wasting your time downloading the fitfilefixtool as its a pain in the arse to use and you have to pay $40 to get it to fix your whole ride!

Its a shame really... My route through Africa looked quite good and it gave me an extra 2000ft of climbing!

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2015 11:07 am

Keep up lad! wrote:Really interesting but....You should get out more! Crying or Very sad
    BaronBanana

Post  BaronBanana Tue May 12, 2015 11:15 am

You will thank me one day ;-)
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Tue May 12, 2015 5:07 pm

Ahhhhh, more geeky heaven.
    Thanks
    BaronBanana

Post  BaronBanana Tue May 12, 2015 5:15 pm

Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Post  Martin Thu May 14, 2015 8:20 am

Heres one for all you TT aero freaks:-

http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

It lets you play around with variables to see what effect they have eg you can see how much faster you will be up a hill by losing 1kg from you bike or even yourself!
    BaronBanana

Post  BaronBanana Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:48 pm

Are you a 'Social Butterfly' or do you ride solo more? If your on Strava; find out here;

http://labs.strava.com/roster/
    Pirate
    Pirate

Post  Pirate Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:44 pm

The last time I went out the group was March 14th, yet, according to Strava I am a social butterfly.

Some bastard has pulled my wings off, but hey, we can't have it all!

pirat

Post  Guest Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:07 am

Scott,
    Have you come across the StravistiX extension for the Chrome browser?

I'm sure you'll like it
    BaronBanana

Post  BaronBanana Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:02 pm

Thanks Paul, the StravistiX extension for chrome is great... really good to get a quick view of how much quicker you were on your PB!

Another link I have found:

Twice now I have ended up riding cross country on a road bike thanks to google maps misleading me and making me believe that horrible mtb trail is actually a road, anyway if you do plan your routes this website could be usefull:

http://brianfolts.com/driver/

It turns your google maps planned route into a street view video.

A comment on another site mentioned this: Let it play/load the photos, then click on the blue bar and hold it back until it is all yellow, then it will play like a video.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content