Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

4 posters

Saturday 25th October - anyone for tennis? Bath

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 25th October - anyone for tennis? Bath Empty Saturday 25th October - anyone for tennis? Bath

Post  anti-climb max Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:14 pm

forecast is dry for a change (so you know what will probably happen!) anyway, it gives us a chance to stretch our legs again.

let's go to bath for the first time in nearly a year.

we'll take the classic route; out via churchill (where latchers on can latch... on), wrington, airport and chew valley; then up gough hill and on to the cycleway at saltford. route home will be out via the globe, past uncle ernie's (farm shop with menagerie) and over the top to burrington.

it's a pretty full on route, lot's of lumps and bumps and about 80 of yer best english with a stiff one in our faces on the return leg.

the tri-curious can ditch out at chew lake (which will be a real treat for those who went there with bernie today.)

don't forget, clocks go back saturday night so this will be the last BST ride for a while.

this week it's 8:15; next week we can lie in a bit for an 8:45 meet.
    MeMarkyB
    MeMarkyB

Saturday 25th October - anyone for tennis? Bath Empty Re: Saturday 25th October - anyone for tennis? Bath

Post  MeMarkyB Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:32 pm

I was looking to join you for my first time (blush) this Saturday but I may be scuppered by t'family.

Anyway, what's the form; are you all on carbon race whippets, or is it full guards and beards?

Anything else a newb might need to know? (I've read the FAQ but it's pretty sparse)

Oh yeah, Are you Weston Wheelers?..
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 25th October - anyone for tennis? Bath Empty Re: Saturday 25th October - anyone for tennis? Bath

Post  anti-climb max Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:18 pm

hello marky b (were you in take that?)

we're often mistaken for weston wheelers due to our shambolic nature, but only when we're riding on our own or with one friend; when people see 3 riders or more together they know it can't be the wheelers.

as for our bikes; well, where do we start.... there's something for everyone. from halfords' pinarellos to bikes that have come from argos.

as for guards, most of us opt for the type that keep the owner clean and ensure a good drenching for any wheelsucker.

a few bearded members, however we don't like to mention the facial hair too much in case their husbands get funny.

our group is bonded together by a mutual love of tea cakes, punctures and not telling newbies where the sprint points are.

having said that, we always love to meet new members, as we're fed up with each other's company.

riders are of all abilities, well i say all... none of us are really good, but some of us think we are. nevertheless, we do manage to cover the lower echelons of ability (in all its forms) pretty comprehensively.

as long as you don't mind waiting for us regularly, you'll have a great day out.

'what we lack in class we gain in laughs' ..... hey, that could be our club motto (anyone know latin?)
    anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Post  anti-climb max Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:03 am

done it myself...

ridet nec genere
    Pirate
    Pirate

Post  Pirate Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:49 pm

. . . . and if all that doesn't put you off then there's something wrong with you Marky (and you'll fit right in). Oh and by the way, asking whether we are Weston Wheelers is my regular Saturday morning question. You need to choose your own! How about "where the #### are we going today" I don't believe anyone has claimed that one yet.

Nice beard. Is that really you?

Nice Latin Ivy

Nice weather?

pirat
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 25th October - anyone for tennis? Bath Empty Ride report

Post  Martin Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:32 pm

The average of fifteen riders appeared keen to tackle the days ride. Yet again another mild day. We headed out east via Puxton, Churchill and Wrington. The climb up Redhill was won by Ade. We stopped near the airport and Ivan managed to mount the kerb this time. Then a sprint to Winford which should be marked as hazardous due to the narrow bend just before the junction and another where Nick, despite a cold, went of the front and despite several chasers managed to win the sprint to the roundabout. Most rider took the option to head for Bishop Sutton while 6 continued on to Bath. When we reached Saltford we joined the Bristol to Bath cycle path. Some mad fool decided to pass us which was a red rag to the bull. After letting him lead for a while we put the gas down. Once at Bath we followed the canal into the centre. At the cafe stop we were entertained by stories from the army. The ride home was very tough - into the wind and mainly uphill. Probably even tougher for those taking the brunt of the headwind.
    There was some debate as to what time we will be meeting next week but I'm guessing its 8:45 UTC.

TTC - 4/5 - massive teacakes
    OJC - 5?
    KF - 4.5/5
    Stats - http://ridewithgps.com/trips/3683277

@Nick - link to website which will fix missing Strava segments - www.raceshape.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:56 am