Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

3 posters

Saturday 2nd November 8:45 - Cannington

anti-climb max
    anti-climb max

Saturday 2nd November 8:45 - Cannington Empty Saturday 2nd November 8:45 - Cannington

Post  anti-climb max Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:26 pm

Don't forget it's a later start tomorrow.

Lots of wind and rain around lunchtime, so let's have another silly sprint to the walled garden.

Sorry. But no triathlete option I'm afraid (except for the Spaxton short cut for the non sprinters - looks like I may have to take the longer route alone!!!!!)
    showmethecakes
    showmethecakes

Saturday 2nd November 8:45 - Cannington Empty Re: Saturday 2nd November 8:45 - Cannington

Post  showmethecakes Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:02 am

Think we started with 16 today. Seemed to shed riders all over Somerset as the day progressed. Sorry to see Martin drop out so early but conditions were not ideal - very blustery and rain showers.

Picked up Ian and Paul en route before the first carve up at Hill Top where Bernie, Ian, Malcolm and a couple of others pulled over for an early cuppa. The rest of the bunch slogged on into Bridgwater where the carnival floats were being wheeled out ready for the evening. A very nice man was directing the traffic and as we sailed past he said something like: "I say my good man, would you mind awfully waiting for this rather large piece of carnival equipment to clear the environs of Bridgwater before proceeding on your way." We complemented him on his polite manner and continued on our way across the road, over the pavement and into the forecourt of a car dealership where we were scuppered by the close parking of the cars on sale, gravel and a chain link fence. Too embarrassed to go back out onto the road to see the nice man again we weaved our way between the cars, over the fence, and back to the open road.

As is traditional with a trip to Cannington there was the choice of the 1.75 mile shortcut to Cannington at the 1.75 miles to Cannington sign post, or the loop out and back down the A39. Most took the shortcut but, in keeping with tradition, the infamous five took in the extra miles in the pouring rain along muddy lanes.

Fortunately the rain was heavy enough to wash the agricultural crap off our bikes and we kept a steady 35 mph along the A39 to the walled garden - which was closed. Not dismayed by this setback we set off to Hill Top having no idea where the 'short cut option squad' had gone.

After a 3 course meal including a fish, meat and kit kat course, we raised our coffee mugs to the 'short cut squad' as they cruised past on the return journey.

Adrian had been explaining the benefits of a chain gang which we successfully employed on the way back. Unfortunately Adrian was still in the cafe putting his gloves on as we left so we tried it out without him. I say chain gang - it was the usual take on the discipline of Ivan or Paul doing all the work on the front and me sitting behind. For some reason Adrian was unable to latch on to the back. Eventually we pulled over at Lympsham to let him catch up. (Thanks for being a good sport about it Adrian).

Winners of the day: Ivan (actually won a sprint), Burns the Baker (went for a long one to the cafe), Meirrion (first up the drag to the Bleadon crossroads), and Burns the Baker again for winning a kit kat. As for me I didn't win anything - but then I don't really give a s?#@t.

OJC: 2, Knacker Factor: 7/10, RTC: 0 (no cake again this week!).
    Miles: 68, average about 18.1 mph.
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

Saturday 2nd November 8:45 - Cannington Empty Re: Saturday 2nd November 8:45 - Cannington

Post  Martin Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Great report Rich, entertaining as usual.

To everyone:-
    Check the Notifications and Events section of the forum for the Xmas meal details:-
    https://westoncg.forumotion.co.uk/t129-xmas-meal-2013-the-commodore-7th-dec

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 am