Weston Chain Gang

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weston Chain Gang

Welcome to the Weston Chain Gang forum. We are a group of cyclists that ride regularly from Weston-super-Mare. We meet at Priory school on Saturday at 8:45. Rides vary in distance between 60 and 100 miles with a stop for cake. Ridet nec genere!

2 posters

September 7th - Bathtime !

Pirate
    Pirate

September 7th - Bathtime ! Empty September 7th - Bathtime !

Post  Pirate Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:37 pm

Our friend Martin failed to show today, possibly due to too much wine, so as he's not really in a position to provide his usual detailed analysis about our little excursion to Bath, I'll do it instead.

Well it was another ride where almost the entire group went the whole way, instead of dropping some off at Rocky Mountain or Hartley's. A seemingly direct route via Wrington and the Chew Valley took us into the back of Saltford and onto the Bristol-Bath cyclepath. As some of us were 'rehabilitating' due to lack of fitness, thoughts of any fast pace ranting were suppressed. The cyclepath is not a suitable venue anyway and I was told that it has a maximum speed of 15mph, so we stuck to that rigidly . . . . .

. . . . and then there's Mr Burns !  Now he might tell you that I started it after we were overtaken by 2 unsuspecting individuals (one being about 15yrs old), but I did it for a joke - honestly!  Needless to say we strung the group out a bit and got to Bath much quicker than intended. Selecting a cafe was initially a bit of a faff, but the Royal Pavillion in Victoria Park proved to be a good find.

After our usual fill of paninis, bacon sandwiches and beans on toast we made our return connection to Churchill via Corston, Marksbury, Farrington Gurney, Ston Easton and along the Mendips. The customary 50 mph drop down Burrington was once again foiled by traffic who think that they can descend quicker.

All in all a good day. No rain at all and one minor puncture courtesy of Mr Burns' tubs. Neil, you have something to look forward to!

Knacker factor for me was 8/10 - so I couldn't have done the whole circuit again, even for £1000.

OJC - Not sure. Most of them were covered up with mincey rain jackets.

Cake rating? 7/10

Have a nice day!
    Martin
    Martin
    Admin

September 7th - Bathtime ! Empty Re: September 7th - Bathtime !

Post  Martin Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Great report Nick. I nominate you as official ride reporter.

I'm disappointed to have missed a new cafe destination especially as you did'nt get lost. Sally and I went to Hayling Island for the weekend and on the way there we stopped at The Chapel in Bruton as Sal loves it - or used to! £7 something for a glass of wine!
    Pirate
    Pirate

Post  Pirate Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:47 pm

I knew it !

Too much wine Martin ! drunken 

Ok, here are the stats for Saturday's ride to Bath

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/373548481

Hopefully you can access this. I am a Garmin virgin after all.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am